Welcome in the Scottish Highlands & Islands ? Or not ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
Please don't take this the wrong way but you got the answer you were looking for. The truth is, the islands are open for business but you have overlooked any positivity which is your right but is still a long way off the mark, and you still haven't said what islands you are interested in visiting that would allow a specific answer as just because Mull is busy does not mean Oransay is. :okay:
If you refer to my OP, I specifically said that I have a booking of a cottage in the Highlands. My concerns didn’t mention ‘busyness’ or whether a location was ‘open’ or not, my concerns were about a hostile reception. And certainly oldwheels has confirmed every likelihood of that in his locality. I remain interested to hear the experiences of others.

Slick

Guru
If you refer to my OP, I specifically said that I have a booking of a cottage in the Highlands. My concerns didn’t mention ‘busyness’ or whether a location was ‘open’ or not, my concerns were about a hostile reception. And certainly oldwheels has confirmed every likelihood of that in his locality. I remain interested to hear the experiences of others.
I was referring to your engagement in the thread after the OP, but fair enough I did say it was your right. :okay:

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
I notice that two weeks on from the much reported ‘border incident’, the letters page of The Scotsman is still debating how to recognise English cars. Fortunately our car displays no clues as to my nationality so we should be ok in that regard. Nor is it a motor home. The vulnerability for us is whilst it is parked in the drive of what the locals will know is a holiday home.

Slick

Guru
I notice that two weeks on from the much reported ‘border incident’, the letters page of The Scotsman is still debating how to recognise English cars. Fortunately our car displays no clues as to my nationality so we should be ok in that regard. Nor is it a motor home. The vulnerability for us is whilst it is parked in the drive of what the locals will know is a holiday home.
My neighbour parks his motorhome in secure parking almost all year but brought it out a couple of weeks ago and explained to me that he was fed up watching the kids interact with devices only and was taking them away to get them to reconnect with the world around them and they left for the Highlands a week ago. They didn't really have an end date for their trip or an itenary of where they were going but I'm looking forward to hearing about his experience as whilst he has lived up here for a number of years now, he does hail from deepest darkest Englandshire.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Things have obviously changed since I was last there as there were no facilities on Barra but you could use the toilets at Vatersey village hall. South Uist had nothing but there was a site on North Uist and also Benbecula. Harris was effectively wild camping with permission but no toilets at Luskentyre. Lewis I cannot answer for as my wife's family are there and we did not use sites.
They must have.
There are many sites and motorhome servicing points in various places (some of which require a small payment) which make it easier for Moho owners to do the right thing - schools, ferry terminals, visitor centres etc.
Yes, there are plenty quiet places for wild camping too. I think many of the Rental guys tend to head to a few hotspots. Last September there was a convoy coming off the ferry heading for the Butt of Lewis which was rammed with vans.
There are sites on Barra and Mull and dotted about the Uists with more appearing. Add the bunkhouses, pods, and hostels the Islands are becoming well equiped for Mohos, cyclists and walkers alike.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
They must have.
There are many sites and motorhome servicing points in various places (some of which require a small payment) which make it easier for Moho owners to do the right thing - schools, ferry terminals, visitor centres etc.
Yes, there are plenty quiet places for wild camping too. I think many of the Rental guys tend to head to a few hotspots. Last September there was a convoy coming off the ferry heading for the Butt of Lewis which was rammed with vans.
There are sites on Barra and Mull and dotted about the Uists with more appearing. Add the bunkhouses, pods, and hostels the Islands are becoming well equiped for Mohos, cyclists and walkers alike.
Hostels and bunk houses have been there for a long time but I either had a tent and bike or motorhome and bike. Barra had no sites then and but it was not difficult to find a spot to camp.
Last summer sitting in the ferry queue for Mull I counted about 30 motorhomes and camper vans getting on the Barra ferry. All appeared separate and that was only one ferry on one day.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hostels and bunk houses have been there for a long time but I either had a tent and bike or motorhome and bike. Barra had no sites then and but it was not difficult to find a spot to camp.
Last summer sitting in the ferry queue for Mull I counted about 30 motorhomes and camper vans getting on the Barra ferry. All appeared separate and that was only one ferry on one day.
Oh I don't deny it's busy in places and at certain times. But it is good to see that there are proper facilities increasingly available and at reasonable rates. Tourism and popularity are always double-edged swords.
I'd rather go there by bike than Moho.....

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Oh I don't deny it's busy in places and at certain times. But it is good to see that there are proper facilities increasingly available and at reasonable rates. Tourism and popularity are always double-edged swords.
I'd rather go there by bike than Moho.....
Since I live on Mull and have done so since 1972 I obviously have a different outlook on life here from yours.
I feel that while some provision should be made for tourism it is now swamping the place which has been taken over by outsiders with an agenda. The introduction of sea eagles and the proliferation of incomers doing wildlife tours is one example. They used to take the attitude that they could stop and block the road anytime they saw something interesting. They were eventually threatened with prosecution by the police it got so bad. That is only one example.
I feel nowadays that I am being driven out of what I regard as my home.
My final word would be to be careful what you wish for.

Slick

Guru
Since I live on Mull and have done so since 1972 I obviously have a different outlook on life here from yours.
I feel that while some provision should be made for tourism it is now swamping the place which has been taken over by outsiders with an agenda. The introduction of sea eagles and the proliferation of incomers doing wildlife tours is one example. They used to take the attitude that they could stop and block the road anytime they saw something interesting. They were eventually threatened with prosecution by the police it got so bad. That is only one example.
I feel nowadays that I am being driven out of what I regard as my home.
My final word would be to be careful what you wish for.
Your an outsider. :okay:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Were you there to make drawbridges that you could pull up behind you?
We have had quite a few more recent incomers who were and still are useful members of society so no need for a drawbridge if those with proper skills come to work. Some who come to retire are very welcome and quite entertaining like the late Francis Drake who used to get visits from passing royalty but was very down to earth and was accepted by the local fishermen which is no easy feat.

Slick

Guru
Yes but I have been here for 48 years now and I came here to work in a business which was not tourist orientated so did not come because I saw it as either an investment or an easy way to pay for my retirement.
I always find there isn't a corner of the globe where you won't hear a Scottish accent. We do tend to roam quite a bit. :okay:

Top Bottom