Welcome in the Scottish Highlands & Islands ? Or not ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Our elderly friends on the Uists have asked-us kindly not to visit (even in our self-contained Moho) in the short-term, the locals there really do not want visitors for fear of CV19.

Don’t know about other islands but traffic on Mull has been as it was when I first came here in 1972. The island seemed to manage ok then with the level of visitors we had. Visitors are not to be confused with tourists who are a different species.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My brother in law works for calmac on the Coruisk and reports that there are now lots if visitors back on the move now. Camper Van's are getting a bit of a bad rep for maybe not following all the rules.

Some of the sites are open but the nearest to Iona is not. Motorhomes and camper vans parked in all sorts of places. Last year they had reached plague proportions and were getting generally detested.

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
i think that was any isolated incident and not typical. Calmac staff and skippers use motorhomes and the last time I travelled I noticed one had a large Calmac notice on his windscreen. The local FB pages also had notice that essential staff were using motorhomes and were not tourists. Our local hospital had a motorhome in the car park but it was soon known that it was essential staff.
Erm, that’s not at all reassuring ! So your vehicle is safe from being vandalised so long as it’s local knowledge that it belongs someone other than a tourist ? :ohmy:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Some of the sites are open but the nearest to Iona is not. Motorhomes and camper vans parked in all sorts of places. Last year they had reached plague proportions and were getting generally detested.
Have noticed this. Part of the issue are the Moho rentals leading to a lot of first-timers on the roads in big unfamiliar vehicles, let alone the lack of camping ‘etiquette’ for want of a better word.
We also make it our duty to support the local economy and facilities.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Have noticed this. Part of the issue are the Moho rentals leading to a lot of first-timers on the roads in big unfamiliar vehicles, let alone the lack of camping ‘etiquette’ for want of a better word.
We also make it our duty to support the local economy and facilities.
Very true as a now former motorhome owner I am well aware of the problems caused by rental ones who generally do not intend to be back and have no knowledge of etiquette and care less.
They park in antisocial places and often park occupying up to 5 or 6 car spaces and also in front of house windows overnight to the fury of the owners who do not wish to confront them.
I used to go to Barra often but will not go there anymore due to pressure of numbers.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Erm, that’s not at all reassuring ! So your vehicle is safe from being vandalised so long as it’s local knowledge that it belongs someone other than a tourist ? :ohmy:
Sadly there are bampots everywhere but that scenario is now past unless or until we have another lockdown. This island is getting already overloaded with tourists.

OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
This island is getting already overloaded with tourists.
I think that answers my original question :sad:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sadly there are bampots everywhere but that scenario is now past unless or until we have another lockdown. This island is getting already overloaded with tourists.
Where possible we tend to keep away from the main 'season' too. At least a week is spent parked on our friends driveway far away from anyone!
As a Devon lad I appreciate that tourists are both a godsend and a bind. What I do like about the islands is that they are foresighted enough to put facilities in place to aid motorhomers, cyclists and the like to reduce their impact.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Where possible we tend to keep away from the main 'season' too. At least a week is spent parked on our friends driveway far away from anyone!
As a Devon lad I appreciate that tourists are both a godsend and a bind. What I do like about the islands is that they are foresighted enough to put facilities in place to aid motorhomers, cyclists and the like to reduce their impact.
Things have obviously changed since I was last there as there were no facilities on Barra but you could use the toilets at Vatersey village hall. South Uist had nothing but there was a site on North Uist and also Benbecula. Harris was effectively wild camping with permission but no toilets at Luskentyre. Lewis I cannot answer for as my wife's family are there and we did not use sites.

I think clegg is a Scottish name for English horsefly. Wonder why it seems a common surname in parts of Yorkshire. Is there a connection there somewhere?
Interestingly (or maybe not) klegg is an old Norse name for horse-fly (still in use today) and may have been brought (linguistically) to Scotland by the Vikings.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I think that answers my original question :sad:
Please don't take this the wrong way but you got the answer you were looking for. The truth is, the islands are open for business but you have overlooked any positivity which is your right but is still a long way off the mark, and you still haven't said what islands you are interested in visiting that would allow a specific answer as just because Mull is busy does not mean Oransay is. :okay:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Islay must be the friendliest, waving at every car coming off that boat must get tiresome after a while with Tiree a close second but would take me far too long to explain why. :okay:

Mrs Tenkay and I were due in Tiree at the beginning of September. That's all gone by the board now so we'll hope to get there next September.
It's catsitting in Edinburgh instead, we're taking our Brommies so at least we'll be able to do a little exploring.

Slick

Guru
Mrs Tenkay and I were due in Tiree at the beginning of September. That's all gone by the board now so we'll hope to get there next September.
It's catsitting in Edinburgh instead, we're taking our Brommies so at least we'll be able to do a little exploring.
I know Tiree is definitely open as friends are not due off until the weekend. I also know a regular visitor from south of the border got in touch with who exactly I can't remember but basically looking for permission to spend lockdown at the family holiday home which was granted until he posted on Facebook that he was looking forward to walking the beaches and the like when he got there so permission was swiftly removed. Shame you won't make it this year, let's hope next year's a belter. :okay:

Top Bottom