Weld failure - Not cycle related

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Well to me the weld looks fine.
Id say the problem is with the post, it looks like the rusted metal has just pulled away due to stress and corrosion.
The weld line at the hinge base looks perfect..

I also worked in auto repair , ive see very good welds and chicken poo.
A good mate of mine used to weld hydraulic rams for the Ray Smith Group ,tail lifts, brilliant welder.

Me im more chicken poo
Done correctly, there shouldn't be any rust to see.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Done correctly, there shouldn't be any rust to see.

If the post has got water in it and corroded the weld quality makes no difference.

The post has failed not the weld from what i can see.
Paint has cracked and water has done the rest.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I'm no expert but I do know cast iron is difficult to weld. You need to preheat it to a certain temperature. If you are stick welding you need a certain type of rod. Once welded, you have to keep it hot and only let it cool slowly.

Fail to take these precautions and you risk cracking. The heat from welding can cause the surrounding metal to take on a sort of granular texture. I believe brazing is the correct technique.

Lots of experts here who might advise: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/

Listen to what the celestial Keith has to say:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=117Q9odITF8

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I would look for a local weld inspector for advice. A professional welder needs the qualifications to weld properly, and if required, they will be welding to an instruction, which will have been passed off by a welding inspector, certified to do this task. Although we tend to be seriously careful in the rail industry with welding, given the number of people that we can kill in one event.

Anyway, any suitably skilled and qualified welder will be able to understand the causes and effects of poor welding, and will confirm very quickly as to what the problem is. Having seen many fatigue failures due to poor design rather than welding, this does not look like one of those.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
A mate is getting advice at the weekend from professional welders at the Heritage Railway he works at, and I just remembered a friend works for the Welding Institute.... watch this space.

Thanks for all the advice above!

D

Deleted member 26715

Not a welder but done lots of welding, that gate is not cast iron I'd stake money on it, it's mild steel box, the fact that have drilled it to fix the new hinge on it speaks volumes, drilling cast is as bad as trying to weld it. It's just bad workmanship, they have only welded 3 sides (presumed looking at photo) which has allowed moisture to get up under the weld, it also has very poor penetration for something that structural.

classic33

Leg End Member
Not a welder but done lots of welding, that gate is not cast iron I'd stake money on it, it's mild steel box, the fact that have drilled it to fix the new hinge on it speaks volumes, drilling cast is as bad as trying to weld it. It's just bad workmanship, they have only welded 3 sides (presumed looking at photo) which has allowed moisture to get up under the weld, it also has very poor penetration for something that structural.
Wrought Iron at best. Assuming a blacksmith made them. If thats correct, someone remove his hammers.

classic33

Leg End Member
For the "blacksmith"
My sledge and hammer lie declined,
My bellows-pipes have lost their wind,
My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd,
My vice is in the dust now laid;
My coal is spent, my iron's gone,
My nails are drove, my work is done,
My fire-dried corpse here lies at rest,
My soul, smoke-like, soars to be blest.

Blacksmith's Epitaph