Weld failure - Not cycle related

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
The same post?

Maybe they don't feel that welded hinges would be strong enough.

Yep. But still playing hardball

They were also putting a lot of faith into that hinge post just but welding it like that considering the weight and length of the gate. As an example just take a look at the amount of weld there is around a car door hinge.

gbb

Legendary Member
It maybe contradicts what the owner is claiming, that its a high quality gate. He perhaps thinks this because it may have cost him a fortune :cry:

I've done a fair bit of mig welding over the years, just workshop repairs etc, occasional non structural frames, that kind of thing....i was never trained, just picked up what I could and tbf....that weld could have been one of mine :laugh:, I occasionally struggled to get good penetration, because I was never trained and didn't have a methodical approach.

Self deprecating to a fault...thats me.:okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
Mig welded mine, not really sure about what rods you need to hang a gate to cast, but i know normal arc rods don't work well with steel to cast.
I'd say those hinges were MIG welded, not stick welded.

sight-pin

Veteran
It maybe contradicts what the owner is claiming, that its a high quality gate. He perhaps thinks this because it may have cost him a fortune :cry:

I've done a fair bit of mig welding over the years, just workshop repairs etc, occasional non structural frames, that kind of thing....i was never trained, just picked up what I could and tbf....that weld could have been one of mine :laugh:, I occasionally struggled to get good penetration, because I was never trained and didn't have a methodical approach.

Self deprecating to a fault...thats me.:okay:

I was commercial vehicle mechanic, that's the beauty of fleet work....plenty of time to work on your own stuff:biggrin:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Well to me the weld looks fine.
Id say the problem is with the post, it looks like the rusted metal has just pulled away due to stress and corrosion.
The weld line at the hinge base looks perfect..

I also worked in auto repair , ive see very good welds and chicken poo.
A good mate of mine used to weld hydraulic rams for the Ray Smith Group ,tail lifts, brilliant welder.

Me im more chicken poo

Levo-Lon

Guru
Oh and just to put a bit of perspective into it...
My Brother was killed by a large brick pier that fell on him. No steel in the column.
We couldn't sue the owner either.

Last edited:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Tuesday Weld :smile:

rwt6uv4lj8xgl486.jpg

Top Bottom