Welding on derailuer hanger on old 10 speed frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

calypsored525

Hi

I have an old carlton that was lovely in its orginal form - suntour cyclone gearing which was very good

However I've been forced into modernising as the old 27" wheels are beyond repair and I have so many bike bits lying around that I cant justify spending money to keep it orginal

The suntour derailuer is on a removable hanger which has been bent in the past so is beyond its prime and it dont seem to wont to come away from the derailuer when I turn the allan key fitting.

I intend to be going to 9 speed; I've cold set the frame and fitted the spare 700 wheels I had. However I dont know if to try to find a new replacable hanger or get one welded on - its a 531 main tube frame so stays are probably plain steel. I'll be fitting a tiagra 4400 rear mech.

Has anybody ideas on cost or people suitable around Romford, Essex way?

This is my commuting bike so cosmetic appearance is not a factor

Thanks

jack the lad

The simplest way is just to get another removable hanger taken off the rear mech from a skip bike. You might even find a new one in the bargain bucket at an LBS, even if it is attached to a cheap rear mech it will still be cheaper than welding & repainting.

You've probably already worked this out, so apologies if it is stating the bleeding obvious, but the other thing to check is that on some old rear mechs it might be attached to the hanger by a circlip, or there is a nut on the back that needs to be held while you undo the allen bolt.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
A new replaceable hanger is the way to go.

You wouldn't normally braze on just the hanger - on a steel dropout, the hanger is part of the dropout itself. (Pics here illustrate this) You could have new dropouts brazed in, but on a frame of this age and quality, it's probably not worth while. In any case, the work would burn off lots of paint and the frame would need re-finishing afterwards. You'd spend three figures doing all this.

A steel hanger of the type you need might cost £5 or so, and no brazing, welding or painting would be required. You might need to shop around a bit to find one, though - this type of hanger hasn't been used much since the 1980s, so the spotty youths in your local Halfraud's may never have seen one.

Ah - I've just found what you need (if I'm understanding you right) here.

OP
OP
C

calypsored525

Thanks for the responses

I thought welding might be OTT but I wanted to explore that avenue because I find that the replacable hanger takes up so much dropout space that it makes my quick release skewer difficult to get a firm grip in the dropout. My old wheels would slip on the derailuer side so eventually i swapped out the QR skewer for a nut type one which did the job better.

I think I'll tyr soaking my old mech in oil and try detaching the hanger; failing that I will go the ebay route and get a new one. Its a lovely frame to ride, if of average quality and I like to think its better upgrading than replacing it with some generic bike. Looking at the serial number its was made April 1979 I think and I reckon it has a good 20 years in it yet.

Anyways thanks again

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
yep replacable steel hanger type thing as shown in Dr Phil's post - done this myself on my 74 carlton continental - now a 18 speed 105 equipped bike - nice for commuting

Top Bottom