Welease Bwian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You above the third floor?

The sirens going off may be part of an exercise planned for this weekend.
No, my street is a few metres higher than the A646, which does flood.

The sirens did go off yesterday for the test. This time it was the real thing ...

Flood risk at Todmorden.gif

Fortunately, just after I posted it finally stopped raining. The river levels were very high when I went out but started dropping again. No flooding at the moment but a lot more rain is forecast and the ground must be pretty sodden now so the rivers could rise quickly again.

The sirens have been going off in Hebden Bridge too according to friends there.

Fingers crossed!

Levo-Lon

Guru
A weather bomb is a cyclonic system with a pressure drop of 24mb in 24hrs. Also called explosive cyclogenesis. Technically that's what Bwian is, a real, bona fide weather bomb, not the usual press defined weather bomb, which in their dictionary means "a spot of crap weather".

How do you know so much about storms.

Or should that be Swallows

Just driven from Grimsby to home with a brace of 1980's Raleighs* on the roof. Bloody hell the drag was incredible!

Either that or 501 steel is heavier than I thought.

*For the anoraks, one is a 1986 Merlin, mine from new, the other an as yet undated but earlier ladies Medale.

classic33

Leg End Member
No, my street is a few metres higher than the A646, which does flood.

The sirens did go off yesterday for the test. This time it was the real thing ...

View attachment 379713

Fortunately, just after I posted it finally stopped raining. The river levels were very high when I went out but started dropping again. No flooding at the moment but a lot more rain is forecast and the ground must be pretty sodden now so the rivers could rise quickly again.

The sirens have been going off in Hebden Bridge too according to friends there.

Fingers crossed!
Bridge at the turning circle, your side of Hebden Bridge has been underwater before, forcing the road to be closed.

Enviroment Agency & council are running their own exercises this weekend, as well as the joint exercise.

You'd have thought they'd have suspended any exercise if there was a chance of having to sound/use them for real.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Brian' still alive - gave me a good buffeting on the bike this morning.

I was going to risk it, but there are very large bits of trees blowing past the window, where there are usually just leaves. :eek:

Today seems to be worse than yesterday, here

Yep, same here - went out for a ride and after several violent and unexpected changes of direction :eek: discretion got the better of me. So just a cheeky 10k this morning.

petek

Über Member
Brisk wind here but blowing offshore. High tide was 8am today and a spring tide so higher than usual but the wind kept it back so it wasn't as far up the beach as is usual for spring tides.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought that I had taken photographs of the raging swollen local rivers last night but couldn't find them on my camera when I went to look at them just now. Then I realised that I had the camera set up so that a half-press of the shutter button only operates the focus mechanism ... :whistle: :banghead::blush:

The water levels now are about 1.5 metres lower than they were last night.

Top Bottom