Well it just goes to show.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Raging Squirrel

I've alwasy been a car nut, since I was little, and like taking a swift drive out on the local B roads when the weather is nice. I've always given cyclists room too, but as I've recently taken up cycling myself with my girlfriend, I'm a bit protective of how close car's get to her while her confidence is still a bit low, and it's made me more aware.

I was coming home on a nice stretch of road when I saw a cyclist in all his gear, so I slowed down as I usually do, but this time I was leaving about a 15 - 20 meter gap between myself and the rider. He knew I was there and wanted to get past, but there were uncoming cars so I just held back. We both turned left, and I could see he was still conscious of me being behind him, so i dropped back a bit further and waited for the way to clear, then moved completely into the opposite lane to give him loads of room as i went past (diesel fumes don't taste or smell very nice!) and he gave me a massive thumbs up to say thanks :smile:

It just goes to show how much more aware you are of another persons activities once you get involved too.

defy-one

My wife and kids said something similar last night. They now notice all the cyclists and give them way more room,and like to check out the bikes aswell :smile:

Top Bottom