Well that’s today’s spectacular blow up / bonk done.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve been out on an 80 ( odd ) mile ride today. I ran into a Sportive, near Salisbury. I couldn’t help but ‘open the taps’. I got about 5 miles from home and hit the biggest bonk I’ve had in years. Full on tunnel vision, rubber legged Armageddon. Fortunately there’s a great craft beer and burger joint, right where I blew out.

image.jpg

That should sort it.:laugh:

davidphilips

Veteran
LOL, RR I thought you could never get punctured with Tannus tyres, a well deserved meal.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
That hit the spot. I had about 10 minutes left to ride, and about 2 minutes until I blacked out. :hungry::bicycle:Sorted. That was the best burger I’ve had in years, possibly because of the fact I was going home in an ambulance without it, but lovely none the less:laugh:.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I always thought it was a fallacy until it happened to me (last year I think). It was only a 35 miler on the Penine way. I had a cereal bar and jelly babies so sat and munched on them which got me the last 5 miles home.
Not a nice feeling.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I was sceptical about how bad it could get, until a few years ago, on a 300 Km+ ride, when something was occurring on my route out of London ( some military thing I think ) and I was diverted miles out of my way, and the route ended up taking me up Swains Lane. I blew out massively at the top, and didn’t have enough food left to stop it. So I rode to the nearest place I could find ( Gail’s Bakery ). I had ( what I thought was ) bonked before then, but this one was really bad, like yesterday’s.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I blew badly last year on a very hilly 20 mile off roader. Unfortunately I was no-where near any shops, so had to walk a few hills and coast my way home. PS Don't go out with just 500ml of water on a hot day, despite it being 'only' 20 miles, as off road that's over 3 hours of riding !

Globalti

Legendary Member
Where were you? The Gobi desert? There's always water somewhere in Britain, whether a stream, horse or cattle trough, house, garage, pub, shop, farm....

Kajjal

Guru
I blew badly last year on a very hilly 20 mile off roader. Unfortunately I was no-where near any shops, so had to walk a few hills and coast my way home. PS Don't go out with just 500ml of water on a hot day, despite it being 'only' 20 miles, as off road that's over 3 hours of riding !

Been there and done that off road on a hot day, running out of water is no fun. We found a stream and then walked up it a good few 100 meters to check for dead sheep etc in it before filling water bottles.

The only time I really bonked was riding into a head wind too fast for 25 miles with a huge hang over on a 50 mile ride. About 5 miles from home I could barely balance on the bike and kept overshooting junctions :wacko:

Top Bottom