Well that’s today’s spectacular blow up / bonk done.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You can't describe the bonk to anyone who has never experienced it. Power levels drop as close to zero as it's possible to get while still being able to pedal and you'd commit murder for something to eat and drink.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I hadn’t bonked for about 10 years until early this summer. Right outside https://eastsomersetrailway.com/visits/whistlestop-cafe which was a crying shame.

Anyway, don’t let me make my problems yours.

And the damn café was shut too !!

AndyRM

XOXO
You can't describe the bonk to anyone who has never experienced it. Power levels drop as close to zero as it's possible to get while still being able to pedal and you'd commit murder for something to eat and drink.

This.

It's a really strange and quite scary experience IMO. Only happened to me once thankfully, and amongst other indignities involved me collapsing into a neighbours recently planted hedge which ruined part of it.

si_c

Guru
I've never booked while cycling, but I've started to come close a couple of times.

I know when I'm starting to go as my hands start shaking, I get really light headed and it feels like I'm sweating in my mouth. Happened a few times over the years, usually when I'm busy doing something and forget to eat.

Never go out on the bike without emergency food now. Usually in the form of a couple of gels as I'm never tempted to snack on them.

Just once for me, on the run-up to London to Brighton 2016. That was my first ever long ride, and on a planned 40 mile training ride, I didn't plan enough. Not enough fluids, no emergency ractions. Got to around 37 miles and could not move further. Easy rescue, but taught me a great deal!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just the once for me

I'd only been cycling a few months and, stupidly, I entered an audax that was 60 miles with 7,500ft of climbing. No real idea about fuelling, think I had some cake at about half way

Last 15 miles I just totally ran out of gas. I remember having to stop on the Brickworks climb which is about 8% max. Ended up crawling up modest inclines in 34/32

Made it to the pub, ham sandwich and a coke. I had planned to ride the 6 miles home but called for a pick-up. When it arrived I was still so befuddled I couldn't work out how to get the bike into the back of the car. My wife had to do it for me

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Energy levels can fall a lot closer to zero than that ... :whistle:

I have not only got so bad that I couldn't pedal, I sometimes couldn't even sit down at the side of the road! I was trying to do a loop of Mull a few years back but I developed a really weird tummy bug which pretty much stopped me eating, or even drinking much water. After a few hours I kept falling off my bike. Several times I ended up lying down in the road. A few very alarmed tourists stopped to see if I'd been knocked off and left for dead! I have no idea what was wrong with me. I'd consumed the same food and drink as my family the day before but none of them had any problems. 2 days later I was fine and enjoyed a 96 mile undulating ride near Fort William.

I was telling someone the other day about a very hilly ride I did one baking summer day. I hadn't drunk enough and got severely hungry and dehydrated. I found a country pub which appeared to be open but the landlord told me that the pub was shut and told me to clear off. I offered him a couple of quid for a glass of water but he shoved me out and slammed the door in my face. Lovely man! I was so desperate that I jumped off my bike when I found a muddy puddle and drank from that ... :eek:

galaxy

Veteran
The worst bonk I’ve had was over 20 years ago. I remember coasting down hill to home and struggling to keep upright. Them I hardly had the energy to pull on the brake levers. The true bonk isn’t good

Top Bottom