well, that didnt last long

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
2 weeks ago had injections in my knee and it worked great, for 2 weeks. Today is another lovely sunny day so went for a ride, 5 miles in the pain returned with a vengence ! Next step is a replacement which i cant really have, as i live alone and need somebody here for a few weeks, so unless somebody fancies a stay in France to look after me :smile: haha i'm stuck. Hope you are having a better day wherever you are xxx

I know nothing about knees, and very little about hips, but if my hip replacement is anything to go by being on your own shouldn't be an insurmountable problem.

I could tell you a long and boring story about the time it took me to make my first cup of tea, and how I had to drink it standing up because I had no means of carrying it the two yards from the kitchen bench to the table.

But the point is that after only a couple of days I was able to do stuff like that, albeit it still took a long time.

Being on your own might even be a benefit.

A married acquaintance had a hip replaced at the same time.

She was well looked after by her well meaning husband, but because he wouldn't let her do anything her rehabilitation was delayed.

It seems hips need to be used immediately, which is why they force you out of bed within hours of the operation.

Knees, of course, may be different.

OP
OP
s7ephanie

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
I don't know if this was the case for @furball , but everyone I have spoken to about the knee replacement I'll inevitably need in the future (GP, knee surgeon, physios) say that I'll know when it's time as I'll no longer be able to live with the pain and lack of function, and will pretty much be desperate and begging to have it done.

At 47, I'm hoping that day is at least 10 years away (I'm not immensely optimistic given the level of deterioration to the bone surfaces in the last couple of years but here's hoping).

How old are you @s7ephanie ?
a lot older than you !:laugh:

OP
OP
s7ephanie

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
I know nothing about knees, and very little about hips, but if my hip replacement is anything to go by being on your own shouldn't be an insurmountable problem.

I could tell you a long and boring story about the time it took me to make my first cup of tea, and how I had to drink it standing up because I had no means of carrying it the two yards from the kitchen bench to the table.

But the point is that after only a couple of days I was able to do stuff like that, albeit it still took a long time.

Being on your own might even be a benefit.

A married acquaintance had a hip replaced at the same time.

She was well looked after by her well meaning husband, but because he wouldn't let her do anything her rehabilitation was delayed.

It seems hips need to be used immediately, which is why they force you out of bed within hours of the operation.

Knees, of course, may be different.
already had one hip replaced, at this rate i'll be a robot in no time !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
NHS info.

NHS said:
Avoiding blood clots
The sooner you start to move around, the better. Lying in bed for too long can cause some of your blood to pool in your legs. This puts you at risk of a blood clot.

If possible, doing some leg exercises can help prevent a blood clot. These may be as simple as flexing your knees or ankles and rotating your feet.

You may be given special support stockings to wear after surgery to help your blood circulation. Your nurse or doctor will explain how you should use these.

Some people are given an injection to thin the blood slightly to help reduce the risk of clots.

Enhanced recovery
Research shows the earlier you get out of bed and start walking, eating and drinking after your operation, the better.

Post op is never fun or easy. You have to find a way through it. If that means hired help than that's what it is.
From what you have said this isn't going away on its own.

Kryton521

Über Member
I have a partial knee replacement and osteoarthritis in the right knee. So far it doesn't require to be done yet. Long may that continue!

Although I changed chain rings to absoluteBLACK sub-compact oval. With round/normal chain rings my right knee is agony within five minutes. The sub-compact oval and I'm flying up hills.......

Ok the last bit is a lie but I can cycle comfortably and get up hills. Would definitely give them a go as cycling will help your knees keep moving

Top Bottom