Well that didn't take long (rant)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
If you mean the junction of Cambridge Road and Bridge Road then yes, you should be in a primary position there, no two ways... You would not ever get more than an impatient beep if you do, in fact I doubt if you would even get that.

Tynan, perfectly calm mate cheers.

Terminator, you're a dick.

Maz

Guru
Morrisette said:
It's the Histon A14 junction for people who know the area!
Don't tell me you cycle on the A14. I've driven along it many times and I've never seen a cyclist on it. Looks way too scary.

Cab

Not as simple as you might think this one.

I'm always tempted on to the off-road cycle path heading out of Cambridge there. Nasty roundabout to cycle, because its full of angry motorists coming too fast because they've just been wasting their lives on the A14 (if you know these junctions of the A14 skirting the North of Cambridge you'll understand). But that bits quite good, the off-road route around the roundabout is pretty much okay. But its what comes next that is the problem.

Look closely at where the off-road facility ends; it suddenly becomes a cycle lane, you're dropped from the pavement level down on to the road. Decent enough slope down, but heres where the problems start:

http://tinyurl.com/2rwfh6

See that you're now in a cycle lane that ain't really as wide as you'd want, and more importantly you've got traffic moving at a decent pace on your right, making the business of claiming primary before the corner (the one I think the original poster was referring to) rather more difficult than you'd hope.

Of course, while bombing down the slope from the roundabout you CAN keep an eye over your shoulder and hop down on to the road earlier, but the cars coming down from there are going frightfully fast and most of the regular motorists get one hell of a shock to see a cyclist doing that. So yeah, arguably better, but still not ideal.

The problem here is really one of a very badly implemented cycle 'facility', coupled with a road thats frequently completely saturated with traffic.

How to avoid that left hook... Gosh, I rekon that the best approach would be to brazen it out on the road as soon as you can from when you're over the roundabout, from a wee bit further down the road I'd say claim primary. But in all honesty thats not how I ride that road, and I'm an assertive primary rider whenever I can be. I'd have been at risk from that left hook too.

Cab

I went out on this road yesterday, and I can see now just how easy it is to end up in a bad road position there. Had it not been for constantly being knocked back when suggesting upgrades to road layouts (and the local Cycling Campaingns passive approach to bad cycle lanes) I'd be sorely tempted to write to the local traffic planning officers about it. Might still do so.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Cab said:
Had it not been for constantly being knocked back when suggesting upgrades to road layouts (and the local Cycling Campaingns passive approach to bad cycle lanes) I'd be sorely tempted to write to the local traffic planning officers about it. Might still do so.

Yeah right, you stopped arguing even though you thought you were right!!

Cab

BentMikey said:
Yeah right, you stopped arguing even though you thought you were right!!

When dealing with 'officialdom', its all about choosing which fights are worth the effort. Arguing that a cycle lane is bad because it encourages bad road position, with the knock on effect that you're increasing the risk of being left hooked, is a difficult one that you're not going to win unless there have been multiple accidents there. Better to focus that attention on campaigns that can be won.

OP
OP
Morrisette

Morrisette

To be honest that junction/area is pretty bad for all road users. Pedestrians heading for the village have to cross the junction at the blind corner (they don't get a traffic light). In a car or on a bike, coming out of it the other way the wait at the light is one of the longest in the area.

BUT this has been the case since they bulldozed the A14 through Cambridgeshire in the first place, cutting off several villages from easy cyclist or pedestrian access to Cambridge city. If the alternative to this dodgy cycle lane was to have no provision at all, I think this is one place where shoddy provision is better than none. I know some of you would, but I wouldn't want to negotiate that roundabout on the road at rush hour.

And no, I don't cycle on the A14:wacko::angry:

Cab

Morrisette said:
BUT this has been the case since they bulldozed the A14 through Cambridgeshire in the first place, cutting off several villages from easy cyclist or pedestrian access to Cambridge city. If the alternative to this dodgy cycle lane was to have no provision at all, I think this is one place where shoddy provision is better than none. I know some of you would, but I wouldn't want to negotiate that roundabout on the road at rush hour.

Hell no, neither do I! I think that cycling provision over the A14 there is as good as you might expect (although a dedicated cycle/footbridge where the old sections of road disappear at the A14 is would be welcome). I just think that where the off-road track then goes on to the road North of the A14, that bit there is rather badly thought out.

Top Bottom