Well that was not as painfull as i thought...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Just replaced my freewheel and chain, cleaned the whole bike whilst i was at it, proper toothbrush type clean.

must say it took me a while to get the flippin freewheel off and had to use my dad's big adjustable wrench (because i sheared the bolt holding the vice down). anyways all went well.
took her out before and Big D is flying as usual and changes nicely, was worried there i was going to have to re-index.

why did i put this off for so long?

anyhoo, yesterday i picked up a new chain, when i went to my LBS i asked about a new chain for a 7 speed, and he said to me "Oh well you know you can't just change the chain, you'll need to change your rear gears too"
i actually wanted to prod him to see if he was for real.

i just explained i alread had the freewheel (which i did)
also picked up some muc-off, that stuff is great!
anyhoo just pleased that it went so smoothly i'm sure something will explode on the way into work tomorrow or something but i reckon it all went ok.
pete

yesterday i picked up a new chain, when i went to my LBS

Which LBS is that Pete? There's nothing round Birchwood is there?

BTW... I am fairly handy at indexing the gears should you want to be shown how

OP
OP
Melonfish

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
Update, this mornings ride in was smooth as hell, no more knocking as if a small samba band were playing in the freewheel and i kept having to look down to see if my chain was still there it was a silent run.
got sand and dirt on it already and i want to sit outside with a toothbrush and clean it off hah is this normal?

OP
OP
Melonfish

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
just got in and i admit i did rub the bike down to clean it hah.
can't believe the difference the new hub and chain make tho, best time yet on my 7.5mile route home!
:biggrin:

Top Bottom