Well today SUCKED!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enis Baysal

Cycled romford to abridge, on route there I crashed and tore the tyre *not the tube*, messed up my hands pretty bad -.-.
Got to abridge, enjoyed a great day of paintballing.

Journey back got a puncture 2 miles from home... did I have my repair kit? Noooo... lol

The inconvenience is out of this world!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How did you crash?
Why weren't you wearing gloves?

vickster

Legendary Member
And you want to buy a carbon bike :ohmy:

Gloves, never get on a bike without them (not least your hands get all sweaty)

The inconvenience is all part of the joy (and expense) of cycling...at least you were only 2 miles from home, not 20 ;)

yello

Simply another choice and risk isn't it?

I rode yesterday afternoon without gloves. Set out with them on, stopped for a coffee and didn't put them back on. Did maybe 60km like that. It's quite a different feeling and one which, tbh, I quite like.

Suffice it to say that I can see why people weigh up the risks and choose to ride without.

vickster

Legendary Member
Risk aside, sweaty hands nasty especially on rubber grips

And gravel rash is to be avoided. I had it bad in January on my right palm, albeit not a cycling fall...I've still got the scar and needed a special dressing to protect it!
And isn't the OP suffering now as a result ;) as evidenced by his attempt at a sad smiley

As a newb, I expect he hadn't weighed up the risks in that way. He now has experience and information to help him do so

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
At the risk of this turning into one of *those* threads. I'd pick gloves as my No1 choice for protection against minor damage to me in an off. I don't crash often (now I've jinxed myself) but when I do, my hands invariably hit the ground and are usually first there taking the brunt of it.

Wafer

Veteran
Hadn't realised people considered gloves a must to be honest! Can see why they would be useful and have thought about getting some, hadn't actually considered them that important though!
Might up the priority...

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I'll ride without a helmet a long time before I'll ride without gloves. Again, seen the outcome of people coming off without wearing them. Plus some grips are really manky. Naturally if you never crash and like the sensation of your grips there's absolutely no point in having them.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hadn't realised people considered gloves a must to be honest! Can see why they would be useful and have thought about getting some, hadn't actually considered them that important though!
Might up the priority...
Especially as you can often get for under a tenner

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've been enjoying the summer weather and commuting in shorts, nice summer (non-cycling) tops, and Birkenstocks for the last few weeks. I love riding without gloves and associate them with cold hands and wintertime.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Most gravel rash will still allow you to ride home. Gravel rash on the palms of your hands make it almost impossible to carry on.

OP
OP
Enis Baysal

Enis Baysal

Ianrauk, I made a pathetic mistake and took a left that was alot sharper than I thought.. ended up going round it with the left footpeg south.. skipped the gravel and I was laying sideways^^! I was indeed wearing gloves. Lucky I also had a hoodie and tracksuit bottoms *on route to paintballing*.

guitarpete247, no repair kit or inner tube -.- pushed the bike a few miles back :sad: *newbie to riding and didnt have all the equipment I needed.. took a trip to halfords this morning for a quick fix and a kit, pump and spare tube lol.

Vickster, I dont find the gloves inconvenient in any way. I usually ride wrapped up, I have a bib, shorts leggins etc but havnt actually gone for a ride to test the difference with them!

Banjo, I have experienced torn palms on the motorbike and its honestly no fun, I can relate to that!

Sweet for the replies guys, I was expecting more of a *Stop moaning* lool!
Definitely taught me a lesson in preparing for the worst!

OP
OP
Enis Baysal

Enis Baysal

And you want to buy a carbon bike :ohmy:

The inconvenience is all part of the joy (and expense) of cycling...at least you were only 2 miles from home, not 20 ;)
Yh tbh I got my fcr for free so I dont really give her the tlc she needs, if I was to finally invest in a carbon bike it would be different. £1000 of my hard earned money*minimum wage* its not an easy savong for me 2 spend out on :smile:

Top Bottom