Welsh Ban on Yorkshire Parkin Cake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
"Parkin or perkin is a gingerbread cake traditionally made with oatmeal and black treacle, which originated in northern England. Often associated with Yorkshire, particularly the Leeds area..."

Well they are a funny lot in west yorkshire next you will be saying a teacake has fruit in it. ;)

tom73

Guru
We have a bread maker it's called me I find best results are had by using an oven to bake things. I once tried but found I was not up to baking a whole one. :okay:

IBarrett

Über Member
I love Parkin and was surprised to find it isn’t available nationally. The nation is really missing out!
If Parkin isn’t a cake then what is it?

And obviously Tea Cakes have fruit in them. If you want tea cakes without fruit you just ask for plain tea cakes.

The world outside Yorkshire certainly is odd.

classic33

Leg End Member
We have a bread maker it's called me I find best results are had by using an oven to bake things. I once tried but found I was not up to baking a whole one. :okay:
How'd you bake half a loaf?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I love Parkin and was surprised to find it isn’t available nationally. The nation is really missing out!
If Parkin isn’t a cake then what is it?

And obviously Tea Cakes have fruit in them. If you want tea cakes without fruit you just ask for plain tea cakes.

The world outside Yorkshire certainly is odd.
A tea cake without raisins in it is a bun. I know cos a toasted teacake is standard café stop food round here....and that includes Lancashire, Staffordshire, Cheshire...as well as Yerksha

colly

Re member eR
We, as a family, had a dog called Parkin. We got her on bonfire night and the kids named her because she was the colour of parkin cake.

17 years she was with us. :wub:

I'll post a pic if I can find one.
Edit:

Parkin 1.JPG

Parkin 2.JPG

Parkin 3.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom