Went for a look at the British Human Powered Club event the other Saturday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to hang in those circles in the eighties, our team held a handful of British and European records for some short periods of time - including The Hour and the 200m Sprint. We came second overall at the world champs in Vancouver in 1986. It was brilliant fun racing all over the world. We were pretty damn fast at 54.38mph for the 200m. These days they're knocking on 90mph!

Last year I wandered up to our local circuit in York to spectate, which was fun but a lot of the old faces that I knew are gone to the velodrome in the sky. Burrows is still going strong and is working on a new bike for an assault on the HPV hour record this year - on a single speed fixed gear (!)

I'm very excited by the prospect of attending the World Champs which are being held in the UK this year. http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Last edited:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've been meaning to ride over to Hillingdon for one of their events for ages. Used to sometimes see the BHPC chairman on the commute in the mornings, usually on a Kingcycle (haven't seen him in quite a while)

Last edited:
I dropped in on Lancaster event the day later. A revelation and got me thinking... What could I do with a hpvelotechnik streetmachine? Might be good to try it for a laugh. Not sure how fast I can go as I've only had it a couple of months if that.

byegad

Legendary Member
I've been meaning to ride over to Hillingdon for one of their events for ages. Used to sometimes see the BHPC chairman on the commute in the mornings, usually on a Kingcycle (haven't seen him in quite a while)
If you're thinking of Richard Ballantine, sadly he died in 2013.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
If you're thinking of Richard Ballantine, sadly he died in 2013.

No, it was Alan Goodman. He's still about, one of the few Velomobile riders around where I live

There was a trike and a bike in full fairing (are they velomobiles?) at Lancaster. The bike was a bit battered and repaired but the trike was immaculate (Milan sl iirc).

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Milan SL is a velomobile. Not surprised Lee W won comprehensively, fast guy in about the fastest VM available.

Top Bottom