Went on Leicester Sky Ride yesterday. Was amused and dismayed ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
in equal measure to see one or two mamils atop expensive carbon actually seeming to be pleased about "scalping" or "dropping" (or whatever is the correct terminology for overtaking) people on the route. Of course this could simply have been my imagination but I'm not so sure.:bicycle:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Had a couple of guys turn up on top spec bikes to a medium pace club runs with a no drop policy, they proceeded to fly off into the distance and eventually we left them to it and did not call them back when they went the wrong way .
Never saw them for the fast group , some people just like to feel superior even if means they need to do it in situations where its inappropiate .They are called idiots and and are probably overcompensating for something :huh:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
We had a few close calls on the Manchester one where you could see it was a family/fun day based event but you still had some trying to do the Tour de France in between all the kids and families !

Sara_H

Guru
in equal measure to see one or two mamils atop expensive carbon actually seeming to be pleased about "scalping" or "dropping" (or whatever is the correct terminology for overtaking) people on the route. Of course this could simply have been my imagination but I'm not so sure.:bicycle:
Shoulda stuck the thin end of your wiffle bat in their spokes :boxing:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Must admit that I've been surprised to see club riders and even groups on family Sky rides - I wouldn't have thought that kind of riding would appeal to a club rider.

We've given up on Skyrides; the teenagers on knackered street MTBs weaving through the riders are too dangerous.

TVC

I didn't do the skyride, but I was in town doing some shopping (Wagamama lunch Yum). I've done it a couple of times before, but on my full carbon job I was really out of place. The ride is for families and less regular cyclists so it's a crawl around town avoiding kids and people with no bike sense. Great for what it's meant to be, but don't go trying to make a race of it.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I increase my EPO dosage in the run-up to these events so I can inspire people to get more involved by witnessing the speeds superior riders can attain. There's a group of us do them on TT bikes, through-and-offing going for course records, motorcycle outriders pushing miscreants out of our way to give us unimpeded access to the road ahead. We get a lot of people waving their fists and shouting encouragement at us during these races.

Seen people turn up to see the Tour of Britain in all the gear, get their expensive bikes down off the roof-rack, stand by the side of the road, load their bikes up again and drive off.

Seen people turn up to see the Tour of Britain in all the gear, get their expensive bikes down off the roof-rack, stand by the side of the road, load their bikes up again and drive off.

That is sad.:laugh:

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Had a couple of guys turn up on top spec bikes to a medium pace club runs with a no drop policy, they proceeded to fly off into the distance and eventually we left them to it and did not call them back when they went the wrong way .
Never saw them for the fast group , some people just like to feel superior even if means they need to do it in situations where its inappropiate .They are called idiots and and are probably overcompensating for something :huh:
To be fair it really was only one or two but a lot more seemed conspicuously over equipped for the event. Then again it's nice to see expensive bikes up close and in the wild so I wasn't too dismayed. It was quite funny though.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
At least ride to the bloomin' event if you want to take your fancy carbon. Good grief. It's a good job they're not into horse racing. Turn up with a horse in a box. Get it out whilst you watch the races and pack it up at the end of the day. A perfect day out.
To paraphrase The Simpsons: Lisa- "It's easy to be mean about people." Homer-"Fun too."

Reece

Veteran
Was also at the leicester Skyride yesterday. Was a good day but did see a group fully lycra'd up and on very good spec bikes keep overtaking us so must of been going for it round and round.

However it was my daughters first time on a Skyride, she's only 6 and still slightly wobbly and nervous around so many cyclists. Hats down though 99% of the people were patient and considerate with her and anyother kids with nerves. But there is always the minority that seem to think they own the place.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

We have these in our club (which is not a racing club) ... it's called Big Fish Small Pond complex.
They're happy to ride with people where they can show superiority, but ask them to come to the local racing group training rides, or ride a TT then it's often a different matter when there will be people faster than them.
It's OK for Mamils to enter Skyrides or Charity rides as long as they behave appropriately - far better to use it as an opportunity to encourage other people rather than show how great you are .....

Top Bottom