Went on Leicester Sky Ride yesterday. Was amused and dismayed ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
[QUOTE 2008275, member: 1314"]I did London Sky Ride last year with the kids and their mate. Sir Chris Hoy bombed past me in Team GB kit. He's a Man Mountain. The Sun was blocked out, darkness fell and the earth rumbled. Lost all 3 kids but that's a different story. Kelly gave me a kiss though.[/quote]
Have you found them yet?

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
must admit did see this and the M K one but did neither in the end
The MK one is anything but crowded and the roads are so wide over 90% of the route on dual carriageways. I saw a few lycra roadies doing a reasonable pace and i had a 30mph blast down a 500m slope out of boredom, but there wasnt a single person between me and the end of it and noone to see it either - mostly I just pootled round slowly looking at stuff. :smile: People do weave around a lot and never look behind them, so you do need to be considerate. There were a few kids in team kit on drop bar bikes having a good race too, again noone else around. I think the problem is MK has so much traffic free cycling in more scenic parks that theres not so much benefit to riding the Skyride course.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Had the same in Birmingham. My son doesnt want to go again,
Thats a shame he has been put off.My lot were fine with the nutters,mind you they both ride in cycle speedway with me so i guess they are happy to stick the odd elbow out !
Blackpool tomorrow night for their first night ride along the prom.

Maz

Guru
in equal measure to see one or two mamils atop expensive carbon actually seeming to be pleased about "scalping" or "dropping" (or whatever is the correct terminology for overtaking) people on the route. Of course this could simply have been my imagination but I'm not so sure.:bicycle:
I was thinking the same too, so you weren't imagining it. A few MAMILs around and quite laughable (and, at times, dangerous) some of their antics. I went down with my son and nephews. This one fella in team lycra and full carbon bike comes tearing past us then slows down and shows off hands-free riding only whilst overtaking, then tears off again, goes hands-free whilst overtaking, and so on. Made me laugh :laugh: .

Abbey Park...Team Lycra kept their machines well clear of the grassy bits...
IMG-20120826-00117.jpg

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I quite enjoyed pootling around on my hybrid tank but wasn't overly impressed with the "event" itself. I'd like there to have been more of a focal point on Abbey park and perhaps at Town Hall Square with some proper event type things going on rather than just being a staging point for various organisations to give out leaflets. I remember two or three years ago it being a lot more vibrant because they had a proper stage with various acts and even a couple of minor people of the telly. I think they should have made more of an effort in that sense and really exploited the success of the Olympics to draw people in. As nice as it is sometimes to pootle around without having to worry about cars it all felt a but perfunctory.
Did manage to have a chat with a bloke on an old Moulton whose wife had a Moulton Mini which was interesting as I've got a Mini myself and appreciate seeing them in the wild.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Had a couple of guys turn up on top spec bikes to a medium pace club runs with a no drop policy, they proceeded to fly off into the distance and eventually we left them to it and did not call them back when they went the wrong way .
Never saw them for the fast group , some people just like to feel superior even if means they need to do it in situations where its inappropiate .They are called idiots and and are probably overcompensating for something :huh:
^This. Most Sundays in our club intermediate group.

TVC

I quite enjoyed pootling around on my hybrid tank but wasn't overly impressed with the "event" itself. I'd like there to have been more of a focal point on Abbey park and perhaps at Town Hall Square with some proper event type things going on rather than just being a staging point for various organisations to give out leaflets. I remember two or three years ago it being a lot more vibrant because they had a proper stage with various acts and even a couple of minor people of the telly. I think they should have made more of an effort in that sense and really exploited the success of the Olympics to draw people in. As nice as it is sometimes to pootle around without having to worry about cars it all felt a but perfunctory.
Did manage to have a chat with a bloke on an old Moulton whose wife had a Moulton Mini which was interesting as I've got a Mini myself and appreciate seeing them in the wild.

The first one was the best, but Sky reigned back on the funding and withdrew from the organising side of things, leaving it up to the council. As you may know LCC has removed support for much of cycling in the city (Cyclemagic for example) so the whole thing has lost it's potential impact.

Nearly there

Veteran
Blackpool tomorrow night for their first night ride along the prom.
I was sat on the prom in Blackpool a couple of weeks ago and found it amusing watching the cyclists having to dodge the tourists and there was some very close calls.
Another observation was I couldnt believe how many Fat people i saw and when i say Fat i mean Fat not chubby but Fat britain really has a Fat problem didnt realise how bad it is until i went to Blackpool,Off topic i know but even my kids said "Dad there's loads of obese people here":unsure:

Maz

Guru
I know what you mean. It did lack a bit of punch. That said, the kids really enjoyed it, as well as the 4 mile ride getting there. Not sure I would've bothered going if it was just me riding on my own though.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
The first one was the best, but Sky reigned back on the funding and withdrew from the organising side of things, leaving it up to the council. As you may know LCC has removed support for much of cycling in the city (Cyclemagic for example) so the whole thing has lost it's potential impact.
It's a shame LCC haven't risen to the challenge. It needn't have taken a massive outlay of funds to put a few bits and bobs on and made it more than just a glorified leaflet drop. Once again our illustrious council snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

It's a shame LCC haven't risen to the challenge. It needn't have taken a massive outlay of funds to put a few bits and bobs on and made it more than just a glorified leaflet drop. Once again our illustrious council snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Well if the council, and especially their cycling officer, hadn't p***ed off so many people there could have been more things to do. As it is, Cyclemagic wasn't the only organisation to refuse to attend.

Top Bottom