Went on my maiden voyage today on my trike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m6mal

where's me bike
First time out today on my trike, i need to do some adjustments, i sat right back when i measured things and in pactice i seem to sit l;ower thus my knees are too high. I dont think i will lengthen the boom as i found when i brake quick when i got back home that my rear wheel lifts. I think thats probably the reason the previous owner had the seat mount 4 inches back although on the thinner square tube, i can pack it out and put it back and this will shift weight aft. I do have a small viseo of the trike and also one of my small first journey today. Once i finish editing slightly i will post it on this thread.

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike

I've just watched your video.

DON'T ride in the gutter .............
You have no wiggle room if something goes wrong.
You're just asking for somebody to try and squeeze passed because the gap looks big enough.
Plus all the crud is washed in there off the road and you're just asking for more punctures.
I like to stay around 18" out, If I'm indicate left then my fingers shouldn't hit any pedestrians standing at the curb.

When are you going out next ??
I may be able to join you.

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
I've just watched your video.

DON'T ride in the gutter .............
You have no wiggle room if something goes wrong.
You're just asking for somebody to try and squeeze passed because the gap looks big enough.
Plus all the crud is washed in there off the road and you're just asking for more punctures.
I like to stay around 18" out, If I'm indicate left then my fingers shouldn't hit any pedestrians standing at the curb.

When are you going out next ??
I may be able to join you.

i cant do long journeys at the moment but it would be great to have you join me on a ride, i have to move the seat because when i brake the back wheel lifts and thats probably why the previous owner moved it back which was in the wrong place according to the manual, but that 4inches might act as a counterbalance and stop me tipping forward. When i have done this which may be tomorrow and i got to saw some off mudguard as it hits floor when i lift the front wheels to get through the door. I will let you know as it should be in next few days but i am out of shape and will be a little slow for a start lol

How badly is the back wheel lifting ?
With my trike, it's a bit 50-50 if a front wheel will skid or the back wheel lifts if I try and stop as fast as possible.
Otherwise it's rock stable.
If you want, I may be able to get up tomorrow for a sit on it before you mod it.

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
How badly is the back wheel lifting ?
With my trike, it's a bit 50-50 if a front wheel will skid or the back wheel lifts if I try and stop as fast as possible.
Otherwise it's rock stable.
If you want, I may be able to get up tomorrow for a sit on it before you mod it.

yeah ok mate, im here all day, you can have a cup of tea aswell lol

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
@Tigerbiten i am up n out of bed so anytime is fine for you to come over

raleighnut

Legendary Member
i cant do long journeys at the moment but it would be great to have you join me on a ride, i have to move the seat because when i brake the back wheel lifts and thats probably why the previous owner moved it back which was in the wrong place according to the manual, but that 4inches might act as a counterbalance and stop me tipping forward. When i have done this which may be tomorrow and i got to saw some off mudguard as it hits floor when i lift the front wheels to get through the door. I will let you know as it should be in next few days but i am out of shape and will be a little slow for a start lol
I had a feeling that the seat had been moved back for that reason.

Trike's looking good :becool:

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
lol i thought i was doing the right thing putting it to where it is now as in manual, you live n learn lol so i am going to put it back to where it shouldnt be and hope it helps my counterbalance problem when braking

Looking at it from below, it does look like it the wrong seat for the frame.
Why else have a red seat frame on a black trike.

I was thinking something like a wide metal corner brace may be usable to make up a shim around the narrower box section tube, ie one piece top-left and another bottom-right.
Or 4 small ones so they fit around the 4 corners of the tube.

Luck ........ ^_^

OP
OP
M

m6mal

where's me bike
Looking at it from below, it does look like it the wrong seat for the frame.
Why else have a red seat frame on a black trike.

I was thinking something like a wide metal corner brace may be usable to make up a shim around the narrower box section tube, ie one piece top-left and another bottom-right.
Or 4 small ones so they fit around the 4 corners of the tube.

Luck ........ ^_^

just finished it and lookin good, now mudguard wont fit so i will resite it over weekend, thanks for the visit today, always a pleasure having you here.... I found some metal and put 3 sides on it n tightened it down so im happy, there is rubber mounting on the sides aswell and the top so the shims fit on to frame and trapped when i tightened it all.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
From the walk around video it looks like the front of the seat is almost level with the cruciform and a long way from the rear wheel.
Moving it back by about 4" will give more traction as well as stopping it from tipping when you brake.

Top Bottom