We're all a bunch of lawless reprobates!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
An interesting article in todays Guardian about red light jumping. Institute of Advanced Motorist are going to say that 57% of jump right lights regularly tomorrow, we can see this in our favourite newspaper the Daily Mail tomorrow. However the author looked at how they got these stats and they are well dodgy. The sample are self selecting via their website and they've added different category of responses together.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think 57% is quite low.. especially for London.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
I love the comments section...

"Far more than 57% jump the lights"... Thats simply not true. People really dont understand statistics.

What he probably means is that 57% of the lights he stops at has at least one cyclist jump them. Thats a stat I'd sign off on. Hell, there are 2 lights on my way in that, to me at least, are forever green.

It'd be interesting to see real stats, and how many people have RLJ'd but now stopped with what their reasons are.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
As soon as I read "that 57% of bike riders nationally admit to jumping red lights." I knew it was fishy..simply because if you do it once in one thousand commutes you are effectively one of those 57%

Schneil

Veteran
I have jumped a red. Well I can think of three, the induction loops didn't detect my bike, so I was sat at red for many cycles, well over 10 minutes!
So I'm now part of the 57%. I wish I hadn't been honest now.

dawesome

Someone called squidward tentacles in the Grauniad comments:

The 'Head of Road Safety' at the IAM is Kevin Delaney, an ex senior police officer who also has a very car-centric view of the rights and responsibilities of road users. Previously Delaney was Road Safety Manager for the RAC Foundation for Motoring, yet another group lobbying for a car-centric view of 'road safety'.
(When he was with the RAC Foundation Delaney was one of those orchestrating the barrage of outrage ten years ago when it looked like the UK would be forced to adopt the European-wide policy of allowing cyclists injured in collisions involving a motor vehicle to claim against a driver's insurance without having to prove fault. This was proposed in response to the fact that in approaching 70% of collisions between a cyclist and a motor vehicle, the driver is at fault, the huge amount of resistance insurance companies show to paying out to injured cyclists even when their client was clearly at fault and so forth.)
Worst of all, for an number of years the IAM have made a concerted effort to infiltrate and influence the policies of groups genuinely campaigning for improved road safety, such as RoadPeace.
As to the 'red light jumping' statistics, it is all so reminiscent of a similar biased survey conducted by the RAC Foundation back in 2003, overseen once again by Kevin Delaney. In order to conveniently play down the level of red light jumping by motorists this 'survey' pretended that a motorist going though a red light for up to 3 seconds after it had changed was not red light jumping at all but 'going through on a late amber'!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environme...ng-iam-survey?commentpage=6#start-of-comments

Top Bottom