We're screwed, aren't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
And to think the Tsar Bomba was modified so it only went pop at about half its nomimal yield, as they were frightened of irradiating the planet.

postman

Legendary Member
I know someone will moan about my redneck tendenies, but I love atom bombs. Obviously not when they're dropped on people or the like, I just find them fascinating.

Here is a question why do they all look like mushrooms when they go off,my bonfire night fireworks don't look like mushrooms.

Brains

Legendary Member
Here is a question why do they all look like mushrooms when they go off,my bonfire night fireworks don't look like mushrooms.

You need more gunpowder in your fireworks

I can assure you 5 kg of gunpowder will give you a mushroom cloud, especially if dropped down a cardboard carpet roll inner that is buried vertically in a meter of earth.

The really scary thing about Tsar Bomba, was that it was actually running at half it’s designed yield. The Russians used a lead tamper in the secondary, if they’d used a Uranium tamper the yield could have been 100 MT. they didn’t, because they were genuinely scared of causing an E.L.E.

classic33

Leg End Member
The really scary thing about Tsar Bomba, was that it was actually running at half it’s designed yield. The Russians used a lead tamper in the secondary, if they’d used a Uranium tamper the yield could have been 100 MT. they didn’t, because they were genuinely scared of causing an E.L.E.
Already been said by Drago
And to think the Tsar Bomba was modified so it only went pop at about half its nomimal yield, as they were frightened of irradiating the planet.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I do like how a thread about world decline morphs into a discussion about the merits of various bombs: it's as though the irony is too painful to see.

My training ride takes me past a Carmelite convent in the Lower Derwent Valley most weeks. Once upon a time, my work took me to their door in winter to deliver firewood: the one nun who had a dispensation to talk dealt with me in an anteroom, leaving me with tea and biscuit while she went off for the log payment. Later, a terrier of mine got lost nearby while digging for rabbits, and I had to call in to hunt through the grounds for him. Again, I was left in the anteroom to wait for someone's consent to roam.

Although raised Catholic, I am an atheist.

From what little I understand of the world, I feel somehow that the balance of order will swing back to positive in time. That these fine people thinking and praying and doing good things, and hanging out prayer flags and leaving lads with tea in anterooms and stopping to help when a man needs an inner tube and opening a door for someone and so forth; that this will bring balance to what appears to be chaos.

Or we are doomed.

One or t'other...

classic33

Leg End Member
I do like how a thread about world decline morphs into a discussion about the merits of various bombs: it's as though the irony is too painful to see.

My training ride takes me past a Carmelite convent in the Lower Derwent Valley most weeks. Once upon a time, my work took me to their door in winter to deliver firewood: the one nun who had a dispensation to talk dealt with me in an anteroom, leaving me with tea and biscuit while she went off for the log payment. Later, a terrier of mine got lost nearby while digging for rabbits, and I had to call in to hunt through the grounds for him. Again, I was left in the anteroom to wait for someone's consent to roam.

Although raised Catholic, I am an atheist.

From what little I understand of the world, I feel somehow that the balance of order will swing back to positive in time. That these fine people thinking and praying and doing good things, and hanging out prayer flags and leaving lads with tea in anterooms and stopping to help when a man needs an inner tube and opening a door for someone and so forth; that this will bring balance to what appears to be chaos.

Or we are doomed.

One or t'other...
It's MAD in'tit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushroom_cloud

Mushroom clouds are formed by many sorts of large explosions under earth's gravity, but they are best known for their appearance after nuclear detonations. Without gravity, the explosive's by-product gases would remain spherical. Nuclear weapons are usually detonated above the ground (not upon impact, because some of the energy would be dissipated by the ground motions), to maximize the effect of their spherically expanding fireball and blast wave. Immediately after the detonation, the fireball begins to rise into the air, acting on the same principle as a hot-air balloon.
One way to analyze the motion, once the hot gas has cleared the ground sufficiently, is as a 'spherical cap bubble',as this gives agreement between the rate of rise and observed diameter.
As it rises, a Rayleigh–Taylor instability is formed, and air is drawn upwards and into the cloud (similar to the updraft of a chimney), producing strong air currents known as "afterwinds", while, inside the head of the cloud, the hot gases rotate in a toroidal shape. When the detonation altitude is low enough, these afterwinds will draw in dirt and debris from the ground below to form the stem of the mushroom cloud.
After the mass of hot gases reaches its equilibrium level, the ascent stops, and the cloud starts flattening the characteristic mushroom shape, usually aided by surface growth due to the decaying turbulence.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Mushroom clouds are formed by many sorts of large explosions under earth's gravity, but they are best known for their appearance after nuclear detonations. Without gravity, the explosive's by-product gases would remain spherical. Nuclear weapons are usually detonated above the ground (not upon impact, because some of the energy would be dissipated by the ground motions), to maximize the effect of their spherically expanding fireball and blast wave. Immediately after the detonation, the fireball begins to rise into the air, acting on the same principle as a hot-air balloon.

One way to analyze the motion, once the hot gas has cleared the ground sufficiently, is as a 'spherical cap bubble',as this gives agreement between the rate of rise and observed diameter.

As it rises, a Rayleigh–Taylor instability is formed, and air is drawn upwards and into the cloud (similar to the updraft of a chimney), producing strong air currents known as "afterwinds", while, inside the head of the cloud, the hot gases rotate in a toroidal shape. When the detonation altitude is low enough, these afterwinds will draw in dirt and debris from the ground below to form the stem of the mushroom cloud.

After the mass of hot gases reaches its equilibrium level, the ascent stops, and the cloud starts flattening the characteristic mushroom shape, usually aided by surface growth due to the decaying turbulence.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushroom_cloud

tyred

Legendary Member
I do my best to cut my waste and consumption and have in recent years become more aware of just how wasteful we as a species actually are. However, I feel it's a case of re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

At nearly 40, permanently single and childless, I don't need to worry about what future my children will have. I will continue to try and do my bit but I know I'm a minority. I get ridiculed because I walk to work when people who live closer than I drive and moan about parking, cost of petrol, repairs , traffic, etc. I walk past a housing estate every morning where dozens of fat parents drive their fat kids the few hundred yards to the entrance of the estate to meet the school bus and sit obstructing the junction in the process and making it difficult for the bus driver to get pulled in properly. A generation being brought up to believe a car is necessary for every journey.

I'd like to buy local but all the factories have been closed down as it's cheaper to ship things half-way around the world than to manufacture them locally. There is a locally produced beer I like but it's difficult to justify the expense when a Polish beer I also like is less than half the cost. Look in the refrigerator in a shop reveals French and Italian water! One thing we definitely don't need to import into this country is water yet apparently we do. At work there are filtered water taps available in many locations in the building yet people still bring bought bottles of water into work each day. Even for those that do use the water provided they use the disposable cups even though there is a cupboard full of proper cups and glasses in the canteen. I've got a few young work colleagues who are into the tarting up cars scene and their only recreation is to drive laps of the town "cruising." They spend more on fuel in a weekend than I do in a month without actually going anywhere.

There really is no hope. It seems the majority want to consume as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom