Were you any good at dating as a teenager?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

Globalti said:
Not surprising if that's you in your avatar! Were you speaking Klingon?

Pfft! No, I was speaking burblese.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
No:

Blamed it on my bad acne. However our last office manager had a teenage son with really bad acne, so bad he was getting it treated medically. And had a girlfriend. Then the penny dropped - it wasn't my skin condition, nor my red hair, nor my lack of muscles. It was my personality. ;)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
rubbish. i had the occasional g/f before meeting the future mrs alecetc at 23.

there's a load of girls where i didn't react to (retrospectively) some really obvious come-ons (sod's law), but the story for now is the girl i met while re-sitting a-levels at crewe.

we got on really well, and i used to go and visit pretty often. nothing even remotely of a sexual nature ever happened, although i'm sure she must have known i really liked her.

anyway, we went to separate unis and i never really thought anymore about her until last year a club run took me past her house in audlem. brought a few memories back, and in retrospect it was so obvious that the girl was struggling with her sexuality and had not yet had the courage to come out. she was into female singers such as michelle shocked, phrank and aimee mann, and was so obviously less feminine than her younger sister.

everything sort of makes sense now, but it's typical of my crapness in the dating department during my youth that i didn't manage to put 2 and 2 together (or should that be 1 and 1)…

Being an epileptic and having a slight stutter meant that I felt like a nervous wreck when it came to the opposite sex during my teens and early twenties. Managed to get a few girls from about my mid twenties to very early thirties but since then the fear of my epilepsy and stutter mean that my confidence is low when trying to meet females. This doesn't mean that I can't talk to them normaly I just panic when it comes to asking one out. So I have been single for about the last twenty years ;).

Night Train

Maker of Things
Dating, or rather attempting to get a date, in my earlier teens was an impossibility and a nightmare.

I was geeky, ungainly, unpopular outside of science club and had no idea of what to say or how to say it.

Then suddenly when I was 18 one of the women in my physics class got interested. She was a few years older and very 'glamourous' looking. It didn't last but I suddenly went from the unwanted geek to popular sex object over night. Very wierd.

From there right through my early twenties I was almost fighting off the attention and then I got married and it all stopped.

I seem to find, now, that attention and interest seems to be either low/non existent from those I like or scarily obsessively keen from those I'm not interested in.

I've given up as it is easier and I have more time to have a life.;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
rich p said:
We're either a bunch of munters and social inadequates or a representative selection of normal folk.

I'm not starting a poll in case we lose what little self esteem we have laeft!
:sad:

I am worrying if there is a certain type of people who turn to cycling!

I'd hate to be trying to date ... luckily I've been married to Mr Summerdays for almost 20 years. I suspect that it becomes easier when when you aren't trying to do it - less pressure.

Valiant

Veteran
It was in pulses from for me, upto 16 I was crap, 17-19 I was on fire, 20-22 was neither here nor there, 22-25 was good, in my 26th year now and it seems I'm irresistible, I keep being given numbers or invited round for dinner. I dunno why but I reckon it's cause I'm finally happy and confident in my own skin and abilities.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Valiant said:
It was in pulses from for me, upto 16 I was crap, 17-19 I was on fire, 20-22 was neither here nor there, 22-25 was good, in my 26th year now and it seems I'm irresistible, I keep being given numbers or invited round for dinner. I dunno why but I reckon it's cause I'm finally happy and confident in my own skin and abilities.

That is perfectly correct. Women are equipped with built-in Insecurity Detectors. A mere whiff and they go to Def Con One with sirens and spinning red lights, etc. I was completely hopeless with women until my mid-twenties, probably because I was scared of my own shadow until then.

Top Bottom