Were you any good at dating as a teenager?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
rich p said:
Gorgeous? Well hung? Rich? Only ask really desperate girls?

Just a thought:evil:

Dont think any of the above apply (dont think I've ever asked anyone out on a date, lmao), but I could lie for the sake of interweb reps :tongue:

I guess I just bumped into the right person for that period of my life at the right time. My current partner is a long standing friend, so at least she knew what she was getting into :angry:

Calum said:
Yeah, dancing is always terrifying. I need to be anti-socially drunk to actually do it, which is hardly appropriate when you're trying to ask a girl out! Having said that, the only exchanges i've ever had with girls have been whilst we've both been in that state anyway... ho hum.

Yes, I will only dance when I am anti-socially drunk, which is not a good look :biggrin:

Flying_Monkey said:
Well, there was plenty of that going on, of course.

rich p said:
You were more bike-curious!

rim-fettling?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
No problems for me when I was a teenager... but it seems to have gotten harder as I got older. College was okay, Uni was more difficult and then upon Graduation it seemed to be a nightmare. :biggrin:

I spent quite a while chatting my current Wife up many moons ago when I worked at the same place as here after I graduated.... an hour here and there in her car whilst waiting for the rain to ease up so she could drive home (didn't like it when it was bucketing it down, and I had to walk to my flat so stayed with her 'til it eased off), then when I finally plucked up the courage to phone her to ask her out I spent nearly 2 hours on the phone with her before actually asking her!!

She started on the phone in her lounge then transferred to her parent's room phone, then back downstairs when they went to bed... and didn't realise I was phoning to ask her out!! :biggrin::biggrin:

We went on our first date (Bowling) and ended up talking until the small hours back at my flat before she drove home (at about 4.30am!!) and I didn't even dare give her a kiss. :tongue::blush:

Must have done something right though as we've been together over 15 years now, and like Globalti I have no probs now approaching women and chatting/flirting with them, sometimes without even realising I'm flirting. :angry:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Calum said:
Yeah, dancing is always terrifying. I need to be anti-socially drunk to actually do it, which is hardly appropriate when you're trying to ask a girl out!
Ho ho - that reminds me of New Year's Eve about 20 years ago. I was out with my then g/f and her older sister.

• First pint - G/f asks me to dance - no, sorry, you know I don't dance! (too sober)
  • Second pint - G/f asks me to dance - no, sorry, you know I don't dance! (too sober)
  • Third pint - G/f asks me to dance - no, sorry, you know I don't dance! (too sober)
  • Fourth pint - G/f asks me to dance - no, sorry, you know I don't dance! (too sober)
  • First sip of fifth pint - G/f asks me to dance - no, sorry, you know I don't dance! (too sober)
  • Second sip of fifth pint - G/f's sister asks me to dance - hic - yes, I'd love to... I jump to my feet and start to boogie. G/f is glaring at me; I can't think why...
  • Remainder of pint 5 and beyond - after 10 minutes of dancing, I've sat down and started drinking again. G/f asks me to dance - no, sorry, you know I don't dance! (too drunk). She wasn't happy about it! :tongue:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
As a teenager in the early-mid 70's I was pretty good at chating girls up. Either that or the girls I met were the wrong sort, if you know what I mean. I got married to the present MrsP in 1981, who is not the wrong sort, but I still find it easy to talk to women.

Plax

Guru
I've never had any problems with dating, so no funny stories.
I had a "childhood sweetheart" from primary through most of lower secondary school. He then went back to Canada and I was a bit gutted. We've lost contact and I often wonder what has happened to him. I didn't really bother seriously with boys then until I was about 17. Never had any problems, I think because I've always had a preference for older men. They seem to throw themselves at me by the bucket full. There are still 2 in particular that declare their undying love to me whenever I go out despite my pointing out Mr Plax to them.
I did feel quite shady once several years ago when a young lad actually plucked up the courage to come round to my house to ask me out. I was a fair bit older than him and said no.

brokenbetty

Über Member
I was crap - I always had a few close male friends who would have pretty much done anything for me, but of course I was always pining for some cool guy, most of whom didn't know I existed. It's only now I'm older I realise those nice guys were worth ten times the others.

Then when I was 19 I met a guy who was both nice and cool and fell head over heels in love and have been with him ever since :biggrin:

I was always very lucky with the girls at school :biggrin: i was very sporty, swimming for Devon 3 years running and was a prolific try scorer out on the wing on the rugby field (although not very good at football) but the swimming and rugby seemed to do the trick, and once i'd left school i was one of the first lads in the town to own a 1000cc motorbike (GPZ1000rx) which was an instant panty remover :ohmy:

Happily married married for 16 years this coming friday now though

Simon

al78

Guru
Three months ago, I got my first girlfriend. I'm 32 years old.

That should give you an indication on how successful I was at dating (despite six years at uni) :biggrin:.

In my teens and early 20's I suffered with severe acne which all but destroyed my confidence and once over that I tended to find that 90+% of the girls I was attracted too were already taken.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Erm..........

Didn't bother much at school..did lads stuff.... went out with the one lass, nice but was about a couple of weeks. Got asked out by a hot lass, turned her down (why..I don't know)..anyway.......got into those bike things....

Spent most of my 16 to 21 years working, riding, racing, going to pub when not racing...(not often) and studying part time....... bit busy....

My now 'better half' was a close friend of my younger sister (erm.. I openly admit I did not know my wife at school....-yes I was in trouble for a long time...) and we'd 'bumped' into each other on a regular basis.... i.e. the 'young' lasses coming round to our house to get changed for party nights.. (yes I was getting preped for racing at early o'clock....- what a bore)...............

Anyway, my old man picked up on the 'chemistry'... and we eventually................ got together...only after I said 'after my exams'............ was doing Accountancy shite.......(yes..it's totally sad, and I wish I'd gone and worked as a bike mechanic)............

Anyway.... all is sound..15 plus years, two kids of 9 and 7 ......SORTED.............Missus is OK with my bike rubbish, as am I with her sewing hobby.......her machines cost as much as my bikes..... and she has as many machines as me bikes..n+1..... x2............OMG.........

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
LOL, it seemed exclusively like ritual humiliation! The very lowest spot came at a village party in France on a balmy night when I was about seventeen. I spied a pretty girl who was staring at her shoes while all her friends were dancing, and plucked up a huge amount of courage, and my best French, to ask her for a dance. Her gaze never left the spot about a foot in front of her feet, and she slowly shook her head without looking at my face.

I subsequently consoled myself with a certain amount of ethanol , and stumbled into the clay-pigeon range of a whole load of pissed-up Frenchmen who were blasting away at 1 am, over the Dordogne river.

That summer got better, BTW, but I will never forget the willy-shrinking moment at that tented disco. The song was "Brown Sugar". Load of crap, innit?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
We're either a bunch of munters and social inadequates or a representative selection of normal folk.

I'm not starting a poll in case we lose what little self esteem we have laeft!

PBancroft

I'm married, but I suspect that I would be no good at dating now let alone when I was a teenager.

Just the other day I was on my way to the Lake District to do a bit of hiking. We stopped off at a camping shop on the way as I realised I had forgotten to pack the bladder for my Camelbak.

The girl in the shop was a rather comely lass. She approached me to offer help, and all I managed to blurt out was "mmbl blrb BLADDER mmbrl"

She looked a bit frightened, but pointed in the general direction of the required item and promptly disappeared through to the stockroom.

Top Bottom