Were you intimidated? Get the answer right.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
........because it will help the police deal with the perpetrator.

A mate of mine was leading a small group ride the other night when they were deliberately run off the road by a van driver, who missed the lead bike by less than 2 inches. They caught up with him shortly afterwards because he was stupid enough to pull over and park the vehicle. In answer to the obvious questions, he replied "someone needs to teach you f' ing cyclists a lesson". There was a whole lot of verbal abuse and so on.

Now, on reporting this to the police, my mate made the mistake of saying "no" when asked if he'd been intimidated by the driver. He was asked the same question twice more, by other policemen, with the same answer, and kept being told that there was nothing the police could do. Finally, a policeman rang him up and said something along the lines of "are you really, really, really sure you weren't intimidated?", and the penny finally dropped. He answered yes this time, and also said that the other 3 cyclists with him had also felt intimidated. "Thank you very much sir. We'll pursue the matter".

Others will know the law better than me, but clearly this word "intimidation" is a test under some section of some law. It seems that if you want the police to react to a report about dangerous driving around your cycling activities, and you don't have video footage of the incident, then remembering that key word helps.

Drago

Legendary Member
Why did they even ask that, I wonder? It's irrelevent. It's either a recordable crime, or an offence, or it isn't - whether the victim or witness was intimidated or not is neither here nor there.

There is a slight cavaet to that - For S4. POA someone has to be "in fear". that doesn't mean they felt intimidated, or were crapping themselves, it merely means that they genuinely though they were about to apprehend violence. A 10 year old could kick me on the ankle - no way am I frightened, scared or intimidated, but just as the was about to launch he foot I was "in fear" that he would do so, ie, I believed I was about to get a slap.

I fear it might rain. I fear Chelsea may lose the footy on saturday. I fear my Y fronts need boiling again. Doesn't mean I'm intimidated.

I would be contacting their skipper and asking why they're asking.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
........because it will help the police deal with the perpetrator.

A mate of mine was leading a small group ride the other night when they were deliberately run off the road by a van driver, who missed the lead bike by less than 2 inches. They caught up with him shortly afterwards because he was stupid enough to pull over and park the vehicle. In answer to the obvious questions, he replied "someone needs to teach you f' ing cyclists a lesson". There was a whole lot of verbal abuse and so on.

Now, on reporting this to the police, my mate made the mistake of saying "no" when asked if he'd been intimidated by the driver. He was asked the same question twice more, by other policemen, with the same answer, and kept being told that there was nothing the police could do. Finally, a policeman rang him up and said something along the lines of "are you really, really, really sure you weren't intimidated?", and the penny finally dropped. He answered yes this time, and also said that the other 3 cyclists with him had also felt intimidated. "Thank you very much sir. We'll pursue the matter".

Others will know the law better than me, but clearly this word "intimidation" is a test under some section of some law. It seems that if you want the police to react to a report about dangerous driving around your cycling activities, and you don't have video footage of the incident, then remembering that key word helps.

They might be going for a public order offence - the kick off at the roadside - or a driving offence.

That allegation would be careless - driving below the standard of a competent and careful driver.

Proving that is assisted if vulnerable road users at the scene can say they were intimidated by the manner of driving.

That's better than the cyclist simply saying the pass was 'too close' because that can always be argued.

Cyclist says 'I felt intimidated', and no defence lawyer can reasonably say 'no, you were not'.

As @Drago says, to make out a public order offence such as an affray a person of reasonable firmness present at the scene has to fear for their personal safety.

Which is similar to being intimidated, so the copper may have meant that.

gbb

Legendary Member
I suspect the police were definately interested in the case and were 'suggesting' specific responses from you which they could use in their case against him in a way that clearly shows you as the victim and accentuates his already aggressive actions.

It's like asking someone killed in a collision if it hurt.

Kind of.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There are some 'choice' words to use, and you 'need' to listen to what the 'officers' are saying when you do the report.

The better choice should this ever happen again (and there is a big group), take off your shoes (means you can walk), restrain the driver, drop his keys down the nearest drain, pat him on the back, and "TA RAA"

Only kidding, but you either use the correct terms or just kick to poop out of someone. Even using the right terms won't get you far. It will be 'logged' against the driver. If it was a liveried van, go phone the company. Some idiot from the local DIY centre tried to run me over, we had a shout ' me ohh you are from down the road blah blah' - nasty man. MD phoned me back and I said have a word as his driving was shocking. THe MD would have been OK with me dobbing him into the police, but a job loss 'threat' from the boss is enough. I told the boss I wouldn't be using them again for garden supplies, and I haven't. No big loss, but it's one less regular custmer, and the neighbours saw this go on. One came out to calm the driver down and said they drive too fast round here

Top Bottom