Were you intimidated? Get the answer right.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think the key point that Mike refers to in the OP is the relevance of terminology used in law.

Video footage of an incident may well be described as definately intimidating by legal bods watching it. However, those involved may/maynot have felt intimidated.

I believe the reason the police ask this is because of a lesser understood definition of assault in English law (by English law, I mean specifically in the jurisdiction of England, I'm sure it's probably the same for the rest of the UK but there are some national differences).

An assault has occurred when the victim reasonably believed they were intentionally put in danger of injury from another. There doesn't actually have to be an injury for an assault to have occurred. Just the reasonable belief that there was an intention to cause harm. Therefore if nothing has been damaged and there's no other evidence of other offences, then there's no crime. Unless the victim genuinely believed that there was an intention to cause harm. The question then is, if you genuinely believe there was such intention, surely you'd be intimidated. If you were not intimidated, and you are unharmed, then there's no assault. The coppers then have nothing to work with.

Levo-Lon

Guru
What amazes me is fook nuts in the van and anyone who has this attitude seem to think cyclists are week timid defensless people who deserve all they get.

Must be a " my vehicle is bigger thing"
Be nice once in a while for said group of cyclists to kick the knobber senseless.

BBC headline... terrorist cyclists on rampage attacking cars and van drivers please don't approach anyone on a bicycle!!!!:wacko:

Johnno260

Veteran
What amazes me is fook nuts in the van and anyone who has this attitude seem to think cyclists are week timid defensless people who deserve all they get.

Must be a " my vehicle is bigger thing"
Be nice once in a while for said group of cyclists to kick the knobber senseless.

BBC headline... terrorist cyclists on rampage attacking cars and van drivers please don't approach anyone on a bicycle!!!!:wacko:

Or the other misconception that we use bikes as we're too poor to afford other means of transport...

Arhh remember one, empty A road came past at very high speed very very close. Deliberate intimidation.
I am really inclined to get a camera on my bike. One on the helmet probably put them off doing it in the first place.

Top Bottom