West Sussex is the best place to retire to. Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
My parents moved from London to rural Oxfordshire for around 17 years (where they were about 5 miles from nearest shop, Dr surgery etc). Now in their seventies and poorish health, they've now moved to 'suburban' Surrey and live within 15 minutes of my brother and I, but more importantly from the Dr, the supermarket, the chemist, the hospital etc, plus cinema, London, much easier, especially as sooner rather than later it's likely that one or other won't be able to drive
Even in London, both my parents suffered badly from the loss of the use of a car. I dread to think of those who followed the rural route.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
This isn't the Pru's finest piece of research. Only three of the factors are external influences to any decision, two are basically the same and simply reflect history, two are basically the same and entirely in the control of the retiree, and the final one (pension income) is entirely personal.

And the data used ignores Scotland and Northern Ireland. My best guess would be that over the next several years Scotland will retain privileges for the retired (including healthcare benefits) that will be lost in England and Wales.

Despite being asked the question quite a lot recently, I'm not about to retire. And when we do properly retire, I suspect we'll stay put. Having said that, I'm tempted by the idea of having multiple bases, and possibly lucky enough to be able to make it happen.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The nub of Bennett's play was that the husband died very suddenly soon after the move, and the wife was left stranded in a place with no support network. I often think people who retire abroad don't stop to think what they will do when one of them dies, as usually couples don't just drift off to death together nice and tidily.

Similar story here:

My best mate at the time retired with his wife to Cyprus back in 2004 and then died two years later aged 56. She has been 'stranded' there ever since although she is making the best of it.

Unfavourable property market shifts have made this a one way trip for her and she misses her roots in Bromley.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The nub of Bennett's play was that the husband died very suddenly soon after the move, and the wife was left stranded in a place with no support network. I often think people who retire abroad don't stop to think what they will do when one of them dies, as usually couples don't just drift off to death together nice and tidily.

My dad and his new wife moved to Spain..bonkers..
Ive not visited as ive not bothered with a new passport and they live in a bit of a shythole ..
If either die i wont be going to a funeral over their..
They know this and it's not going to change..you make your bed etc

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Even in London, both my parents suffered badly from the loss of the use of a car. I dread to think of those who followed the rural route.
I count myself extremely fortunate.
I ended up living on the outskirts of a coastal village in one of the nicest parts of the UK, ten years before I retired.
I'm about a mile from one of the best beaches in the country and less than a mile from a thriving village. It's a 3/4 mile level walk to the docs, pharmacy, newsagents, bike shop etc. 7 pubs within walking distance and the start of 30 miles of level tarmac cycle path (Tarka Trail) just down the road.
Exmoor is easily accessible on a bike.
6 mile level ride into the nearest town, which has a good hospital and all the facilities we need.
As a place to retire to it's just about perfect. Have thought about moving, but can't really think of anywhere that we could afford that would be any better.
Reckon I'm just a Jammy B as I never planned any of it.^_^

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Whilst, for family reasons, we will probably go east, to East Sussex, so tlh can be nearer her sister, with a free hand Worcestershire currently tops Team Grumpy's fave destination to retire to, closely followed by Wales where we lived when the children were born.

But the man from the Pru appears to think we should stay put in dear old West Sussex by the sea.

https://www.pru.co.uk/pdf/press-centre/Quality-of-Retirement-Index-2017-Final.pdf
I hear Bradford is a lovely place to retire to...

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 4951337, member: 43827"]Miserable bugger.

I take it you are not in the will.[/QUOTE]

I wont fly anymore..
Dad hates it..so they'll be back.

As for will lol..my dad has a state pension and she has loads of kids and its her money.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I count myself extremely fortunate.
I ended up living on the outskirts of a coastal village in one of the nicest parts of the UK, ten years before I retired.
I'm about a mile from one of the best beaches in the country and less than a mile from a thriving village. It's a 3/4 mile level walk to the docs, pharmacy, newsagents, bike shop etc. 7 pubs within walking distance and the start of 30 miles of level tarmac cycle path (Tarka Trail) just down the road.
Exmoor is easily accessible on a bike.
6 mile level ride into the nearest town, which has a good hospital and all the facilities we need.
As a place to retire to it's just about perfect. Have thought about moving, but can't really think of anywhere that we could afford that would be any better.
Reckon I'm just a Jammy B as I never planned any of it.^_^

It would be appreciated if you kept the smugness to just the one thread...

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I think we've been sensible in some ways. Near the edge of a small market town–all necessaries available within tottering distance. Countryside a short walk away (we're sandwiched between two AONBs). Four flights of stairs will either keep us fit or kill us.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think we've been sensible in some ways. Near the edge of a small market town–all necessaries available within tottering distance. Countryside a short walk away (we're sandwiched between two AONBs). Four flights of stairs will either keep us fit or kill us.
Centre of a small market town here, rail access to a National Park, and an AOB, and an international airport. Only long-term fly in our stay put ointment is the distance, in time, from the nearest A&E.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Centre of a small market town here, rail access to a National Park, and an AOB, and an international airport. Only long-term fly in our stay put ointment is the distance, in time, from the nearest A&E.

I was going to say that we have an international airport, but wikipedia says: "Exeter Airport, formerly Exeter International Airport..."

A&E is in the city, but the ambulance station is just the other end of town (a mile away).

Top Bottom