West Sussex is the best place to retire to. Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
TinymyNewt asked a fair question earlier.. quote.. "
Why do people often decide to move away from their life and all their friends when they retire? Alan Bennett wrote a play about it, and how it is often a terrible mistake. I think it was called Sunset on the Bay."

IMO it is easier for 'anywheres' to retire to a new place than it is for the 'somewheres'.
Anywheres being those of us who have moved away from home and possibly travelled around in work.
Usually graduates.
Somewheres are the more rooted people who have never strayed far from their birthplace.
Generally non graduates.
Those aren't statussignallers it's just that graduates tend to shift more during their working lives.
For 'bang for your buck' seaside retirement the Lincolnshire Coast takes some beating.
We're now known as the 'Affordable North Norfolk'.
:smile:
Sunsets over land not over sea, therefore not on tlh's list of acceptable coastal locations.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
TinymyNewt asked a fair question earlier.. quote.. "
Why do people often decide to move away from their life and all their friends when they retire? Alan Bennett wrote a play about it, and how it is often a terrible mistake. I think it was called Sunset on the Bay."

IMO it is easier for 'anywheres' to retire to a new place than it is for the 'somewheres'.
Anywheres being those of us who have moved away from home and possibly travelled around in work.
Usually graduates.
Somewheres are the more rooted people who have never strayed far from their birthplace.
Generally non graduates.
Those aren't statussignallers it's just that graduates tend to shift more during their working lives.
For 'bang for your buck' seaside retirement the Lincolnshire Coast takes some beating.
We're now known as the 'Affordable North Norfolk'.
:smile:

It's cheap there for a reason - it's a deadly dull place imo. My Mum (long gone sadly) was born in Alford so I know the area pretty well and it really is rather dreary.

GM

Legendary Member
Keeping a close eye on this thread ATM. We're carefully looking places we would like to down size to. High on the list ATM is Northern Ireland, somewhere I think is sadly overlooked by a lot of people. Mind you, if I won the lottery I'd buy one of the big houses around the corner from us!

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Keeping a close eye on this thread ATM. We're carefully looking places we would like to down size to. High on the list ATM is Northern Ireland, somewhere I think is sadly overlooked by a lot of people. Mind you, if I won the lottery I'd buy one of the big houses around the corner from us!
Gatehouse of Fleet in Dumfries and Galloway appeals to me. Just need to take tlh there for a second opinion.

Reactions: GM
OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4952733, member: 259"]Sssssshhhhhhhhhh![/QUOTE]
Any west facing coastline or is that all in Donegal?

The Jogger

Legendary Member
It's a great place to retire to or in , especially if it's early retirement..............................Chichester

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It rains too much in Ireland.
The weather has to be a factor as to why the south coast is so popular in

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'm making some windows for a place in west sussex at the moment ,( was out there today ) Lovely places but i dont have 6 million to spend on a farked farm house .

Top Bottom