West Sussex is the best place to retire to. Discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm making some windows for a place in west sussex at the moment ,( was out there today ) Lovely places but i dont have 6 million to spend on a farked farm house .
Even in West Sussex the % who can afford that much is tiny. The only one I know well went to East Sussex where that much bought a hamlet.

When I started dating my wife I was living in a slightly rural part of West Dorset; my wife's lived in Worthing all her life. It worked out better for me to move to Worthing than for her to move to Beaminster.

I'm not at all keen on Worthing, far too urban for my liking; West Sussex as a whole hasn't impressed me all that much either. I'm a West Country lad at heart and would love to spend my retirement days there.

Fergs

Guru
I haven't read back but, since I'm currently on holiday in West Sussex, I can provide a live situation report:

... Lots of people clearly agree with the op's premise. Lots and lots.

GM

Legendary Member
Awful health service in Northern Ireland. Not a good place to be seriously ill.

Mrs GM's family still live in NI, and believe me they've had their lions share of the NHS, with excellent service as well. Obviously you've got the stats, but I can only speak from personal experience. Thanks for the warning anyway.

Whilst, for family reasons, we will probably go east, to East Sussex, so tlh can be nearer her sister, with a free hand Worcestershire currently tops Team Grumpy's fave destination to retire to, closely followed by Wales where we lived when the children were born.

But the man from the Pru appears to think we should stay put in dear old West Sussex by the sea.

https://www.pru.co.uk/pdf/press-centre/Quality-of-Retirement-Index-2017-Final.pdf
Hi GG get yourself get yourself down here in Eastbourne its full of oldies like me.Mind you cycling can be hard at times with the winds we get but far more preferable than where I was raised in Croydon.

Pembrokeshire for me ,if i can.

At the moment, we're going to stick where most of our friends are, London. I'm tempted by Cornwall because I've been going there several times a year since I was a kid, but I really don't know what it would be like to live there full-time. If we could, we would rent a place and see how we liked it for a year. I suspect we might both miss the buzz of city living, but we certainly won't know until we try it. London's got excellent healthcare, but it seems a bit defeatist to use that as a major reason for living here....

"Get busy living, or get busy dying.."? Anyway, I'm acutely aware that, in the scheme of things, time is running out.:smile:

I lived in Cornwall for 5 years. In the summer it is great, but as soon as the summer holidays are over everything shuts. I should have bought a place down there as they were extremely cheap at the time, and nearly doubled in price now!

Top Bottom