West Sutton to Clerkenwell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Had a second interview for a job near Barbican today and, assuming I get it, I would probably want to ride at least a couple of days a week (it's an easy train commute as well). I don't do huge miles but that sort of distance (13 miles) isn't a major concern - my commute is around 4.5miles each way at the moment, traffic dependent takes around 22 minutes, but I quite often go out and do an urban 10-15 miles at the weekend. I have done a route plan on CycleStreets and it reckons 1hr 18 for the fastest route - more or less Mitcham, Tooting, Clapham, Wandsworth, Vauxhall, Blackfriars. Being a pretty flat route, on a fast hybrid, 12-15 mph should be ok, but these are busy old roads, lots of lights etc. The early start and need to shower before work will probably be more a shock to the system than the cycling!

I am sure there are peeps around here who do a similar journey, does that timing sound about right? I may do a dry run on Saturday.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks! Weather permitting I may give it a go tomorrow. How long does it take you from say Tooting?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, sounds decent :smile: I am slow too, and also stop for light, pedestrians etc, old fashioned in that way :whistle:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I did the run this morning - 1h02 - in the drizzle/rain, and at full pelt (for me), not too much traffic. Rode back as far as Balham then train as ran out of steam...not helped by getting a bit lost around Chancery Lane and then missing the road at Elephant and Castle and had to go round again (I can imagine that is very scary in the rush hour).
If I do end up doing the trip, I'll need to allow at least 1h15 and probably 1h30 for traffic

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I went past Kennington tube, going it was a soft left at E&C but coming back I had to go right essentially...it is quite possible I missed a turn earlier? If left at Oval tube, don't you end up at Vauxhall?

Top Bottom