West Yorkshire cyle route.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ceedee

Well, I have finally done it. I have been thinking about this route for about 6 years and have ridden many of the sections.

Day 1 was from Wakefield to Bretton to join the route and then around the boundry of West Yorkshire up to Ilkley 92 miles and around 9500ft of accent with some very steep climbs.

Day 2 from Ilkley back to Wakefield with a much easier 76 miles and only 4000ft of accent.

I would have to say day 1 was more enjoyable as in scenery and the quiet road sections. Day 2 through Castleford and Pontefract was a very poor route and I think could of been planned to avoid the Town centres.

If anybody would like any more info just let me know. Chris.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/592396
http://ridewithgps.com/trips/597168

colly

Re member eR
Nice trip.
I've done a good amount of the WYCR in various uncoordinated trips out. Last year, maybe the year before, or maybe the year before I and a couple of others on here decided it would make a great challenge to complete the route in one day. In fact I think we arrived at a date in mid summer to do it.
Things conspired as they do and it never actually came off though. I did set off very early one morning in an attempt to do it and decided to do it anti-clockwise so as to have the flatter section back into North Leeds at the end of the day. I made it to Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd OK but I managed to loose the route completely. (Not having proper maps didn't help) and I also managed to break my rear mech so was struggling with slipping gears.
I decided to give it up as a bad job and instead slogged my way back home through Halifax.
I did just over 100 miles for the day but was disappointed not to have made better progress on the route itself.

I agree the sections through Castleford and Pontefract are a pretty poor selection for the route. When I have been over that section the signs for it were more or less non existent and traffic, even on a Sunday was awful. Maybe it's better now though I doubt it.
Isn't there a section in Hebden Bridge that is not only bonkers steep it's cobbled too. How did you manage that?

OP
OP
C

Ceedee

It's a shame you could n't of completed it in the day, that would be quite an achievement. The signage is not great in a few places and I am pleased I had the route on the Garmin.

The section of cobbles was steep and the only good thing about itwas it was only a short distance.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well done!
Nice trip.
I've done a good amount of the WYCR in various uncoordinated trips out. Last year, maybe the year before, or maybe the year before I and a couple of others on here decided it would make a great challenge to complete the route in one day. In fact I think we arrived at a date in mid summer to do it.

Things conspired as they do and it never actually came off though.
Yes, a group of us planned to do it together but I think I was ill and it got cancelled. I haven't been fit enough since then.
Isn't there a section in Hebden Bridge that is not only bonkers steep it's cobbled too. How did you manage that?
You are thinking of the Buttress!

buttress.jpg

That is actually on the Pennine Cycleway not the West Yorkshire Cycle Route!

I've done most of the WYCR at various times but not all in one go. I did once ride to Castleford via Brighouse then rode the southern half of the WYCR back to Hebden Bridge.

I think the cobbled climb in question is at Booth Bank on the way up to Pole Moor. The cobbles form a strip up the centre of the road which deterred me from zig-zagging, something I desperately needed to do.

colly

Re member eR
I think the cobbled climb in question is at Booth Bank on the way up to Pole Moor. The cobbles form a strip up the centre of the road which deterred me from zig-zagging, something I desperately needed to do.

I didn't know you had ridden your bike up there?

Chapeau !

ColinJ

I didn't know you had ridden your bike up there?

Chapeau !
I haven't ridden up the Buttress, and Svendo failed on both his attempts too.

If you mean Booth Bank, er, no! I nearly made it but I was struggling really hard and was afraid to veer across the cobbles in case I slipped or stalled and fell, still clipped in. I'd just ridden up past a man mowing his front lawn. He looked up as I climbed past him and he smiled and said "You won't make it!" I'd shouted back "We'll see!" He was right - I did a panic dismount while I still could ... :thumbsup:

I'll go back and conquer the bugger one day when I get back below 13 stone.

Nice one!
The signage is not great in a few places and I am pleased I had the route on the Garmin.
They have a very special class of vandal around Woolley - a few years ago, some of the little b*****s had very carefully changed the signage so that it led the WYCR into a cul-de-sac in the village. :ohmy:

Ah the good ole WYCR:thumbsup:

I've done various sections of the 'North' half, with my favourite being to head out of Leeds up Otley Road through Headingley, and join it where it intersects the A660 Leeds Road just south of Bramhope. From there head in an anti-clockwise direction across Otley Moor, into Menston and enjoy the hard climb onto Ilkley Moor and then the great descent into Ilkley. From there its again a climb out of Ilkley before dropping down into Silsden. I normally leave it here and enjoy 25 miles or so of easy towpath back into Leeds as relief on my tired legs!

If you do it clockwise it from the same 'A660 roundabout' starting point it starts nice with a trip past Eccup reservoir, but quickly falls victim to the WYCR's idea of a 'quiet country lane' actually being a national limit road with not great visibility at times. I did it that way once as far as Allerton Bywater and although it does have nice sections later on, theres far too much of that 'quiet country lane' that's seemingly actually a racetrack for whatever yokels live around there:laugh:

A nicer route in that area IMO is to instead start at Harrogate, go through Spofford and join the 'Wetherby Railway Path' as far east as Thorpe Arch Trading Estate and then join the WYCR. It misses those rather awkward lanes I didnt like so much.

TBH Its not a bad route overall, but as pointed out it suffers from horrendous sineage that is very out of date or just wrong, there is a map but it is currently out of stock http://www.leeds.gov.uk/Transport_a...ycling_maps_available_for_the_Leeds_area.aspx

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've done bits of the southern section. About 10 days ago I did the Castleford/Pontefract bit but got lost in Pontefract. There were signs to the south but nothing north; apparently once you arrive they've no intention of helping you leave :ohmy:

Somewhere here I see a future 1-2 day forum ride to do all of it?

ColinJ

I've done bits of the southern section. About 10 days ago I did the Castleford/Pontefract bit but got lost in Pontefract. There were signs to the south but nothing north; apparently once you arrive they've no intention of helping you leave :ohmy:

Somewhere here I see a future 1-2 day forum ride to do all of it?
I intend to revisit the idea one day when I'm fit enough. The original thread is here.

The one-day loop is what I'm mainly interested in. It wouldn't be an ordinary forum ride but one for very fit riders only. Incidentally, I checked back and I pulled out of the original ride due to lack of fitness, not illness. It would be best as a mid-summer Saturday ride to give maximum hours of daylight and allow early morning arrival by train.

However, we could also do it in 2 bites as a northern half and southern half. Start one from Hebden Bridge and ride to Garforth, The second from Garforth to Hebden Bridge.

Two reasons for that split:
  1. Both halves have a good mix of terrain from flat, through undulating, to hilly and severe!
  2. Easy transport links - train to the start and/or back from the finish. There could be a problem getting the bikes on the train if there were too many of us though. Plan B would be for people to be dropped off at the start in the morning and be picked up at the end in the evening.
I agree with some of the remarks about the exact choice of route. I don't see why we should be anal about sticking to it precisely. If we choose to ride nicer or safer roads - fine. We shouldn't choose to do easier roads though - that'd be cheating! :thumbsup:

I think that both halves work better clockwise - any opinions on that?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I intend to revisit the idea one day when I'm fit enough. The original thread is here.

The one-day loop is what I'm mainly interested in. It wouldn't be an ordinary forum ride but one for very fit riders only. Incidentally, I checked back and I pulled out of the original ride due to lack of fitness, not illness. It would be best as a mid-summer Saturday ride to give maximum hours of daylight and allow early morning arrival by train.

However, we could also do it in 2 bites as a northern half and southern half. Start one from Hebden Bridge and ride to Garforth, The second from Garforth to Hebden Bridge.

Two reasons for that split:
  1. Both halves have a good mix of terrain from flat, through undulating, to hilly and severe!
  2. Easy transport links - train to the start and/or back from the finish. There could be a problem getting the bikes on the train if there were too many of us though. Plan B would be for people to be dropped off at the start in the morning and be picked up at the end in the evening.
I think that both halves work better clockwise - any opinions on that?

That'd do for me; a Saturday in June/July with some foreward planning so in 2012 or 2013. Could I suggest that if it's 2012 it's done over a weekend as 2-day and/or we plan ahead for people to target 2013 and a 1-day?

If there's someone else up for a 1-day in 2012 then the 23rd or the 30th of June seems a good idea for me :thumbsup:. The Ron Kitching York sportive is on the 23rd (was thinking of doing this) and I can't do after that due to the 3-Peaks in 24 hours in mid-July and I need to be fully fit for it.

Alun

Guru
I'd forgotten that bit (a.k.a 'Jowler'), but that isn't in Hebden Bridge either. I'd call that 'steep', rather than 'bonkers steep'!(As in - I can ride it but it hurts!)
I always confuse that bit with where Widdop Road becomes Ridehalgh Lane near Gorple Lower Reservoir, funny what pain can do to the memory !

colly

Re member eR
You are thinking of the Buttress!

buttress.jpg

That's the one I had in mind. I didn't realise it was on a different route. Even so getting up OR down would be a nightmare.

Maybe we could sort out a date for next year then. :thumbsup: I guess it would give some of us time to build up to it.^_^

This year would be out for me because first off I have not done enough biking yet to be anywhere near fit enough and also I have so many commitments taking up weekends in mid summer I doubt I would be able to fit it in.

Top Bottom