West Yorkshire cyle route.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That'd do for me; a Saturday in June/July with some foreward planning so in 2012 or 2013. Could I suggest that if it's 2012 it's done over a weekend as 2-day and/or we plan ahead for people to target 2013 and a 1-day?

If there's someone else up for a 1-day in 2012 then the 23rd or the 30th of June seems a good idea for me :thumbsup:. The Ron Kitching York sportive is on the 23rd (was thinking of doing this) and I can't do after that due to the 3-Peaks in 24 hours in mid-July and I need to be fully fit for it.
I can't see me being fit enough to do the 1-day loop by this June/July. In theory it would be possible, but it probably isn't realistic. I'm certainly happy to declare that I aspire towards doing it mid-summer 2013 though!

I'll be fit enough to cope with either the northern half or the southern half in one day by June, but doing the other half the next day would be a problem for me. If I were fit enough to do that, I'd almost find it easier to do it all in one day. (My legs seize up overnight and I need a day or two recovery.)

I can see that it would be more of a challenge to do it in one weekend and it would make it possible for people to stop over at the half way point, but it would suit me better to do it over 2 different weekends.

I'm free on the 16th/17th of June if anybody would like to ride a slightly-modified version of the southern half of the WYCR from Garforth to Hebden Bridge? I'd catch an early train to meet up in Garforth and ride back here. If there is any interest, I'll take a look at what route changes I would like to suggest. For example - I remember finding the Sculpture Park bridleway a little bit rough the time I did it before but I'd have to see if there was a viable alternative away from busy roads. Also, if possible I'd prefer to avoid those town centres.

ColinJ

Tell you what - shall we commit to 2 dates and go for it! :thumbsup:

I propose Garforth to Hebden Bridge via a modified southern half of the WYCR on Saturday, 16th June.

To avoid a clash with the Ron Kitching ride, I propose a later weekend for the second ride. I'm booked up for the last weekend in June, so how about the 7th or 8th July for the (possibly slightly modified) northern half?

Once we have the dates, let's adjourn to a new thread in the rides section.

PS Sorry for the sideways thread hijacking Chris! If you fancy joining us for the forum ride versions, you'd be welcome, and I'll try and improve on the poorer parts of the route!

OP
OP
C

Ceedee

"PS Sorry for the sideways thread hijacking Chris! If you fancy joining us for the forum ride versions, you'd be welcome, and I'll try and improve on the poorer parts of the route!"

Not a problem Colin, it's good to see all the interest in a ride.

Regarding the Sculpture Park bridleway, we changed our route approx half a mile and rode up Jebb lane which is a quiet country lane and also tweaked some other sections.

Weekend riding is difficult for me due to work and June is out of the question because I have to go and sit on a beach, eat loads of food and drink Wine and beer. I will keep checking out the dates though and see if the outing comes off. I would certainly ride it again over two days but one day would be very hard.

ColinJ

Regarding the Sculpture Park bridleway, we changed our route approx half a mile and rode up Jebb lane which is a quiet country lane and also tweaked some other sections.
Jebb Lane looks good, but the obvious way to get to it would be via the motorway roundabout which definitely does not look quite so nice! Either that or come down the dual carriageway bit of the A637 and cross over before the roundabout. How did you get to the lane?
June is out of the question because I have to go and sit on a beach, eat loads of food and drink Wine and beer.
It's a tough job, but someone has to do it! :thumbsup:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Can't make the 16th (at a wedding!). The 7th I could probably do if I don't push it too hard.

I'm not sure how many are doing the Ron Kitching ride? Don't think that there's many on here planning to do it on the 23rd?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Can't make the 16th (at a wedding!). The 7th I could probably do if I don't push it too hard.

I'm not sure how many are doing the Ron Kitching ride? Don't think that there's many on here planning to do it on the 23rd?

Good luck with the Ron Kitching ride.. I did it six or so years ago when it was also run as an audax. It was my first ever 150km Audax and was a baptism of fire.

ColinJ

If you decided not to the Ron Kitching, we could make it on the 23rd, otherwise we might as well stick to the 16th. I'm booked up the other 3 weekends in June.

You wouldn't be pushing hard on the northern leg on the 7th because I would be slowing everybody down. (Well, the speed you climb at would be your own choice, but the average speed would be low!)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Go for the 23rd - I'd prefer to do this if we can.

The 7th would be OK as well.

OP
OP
C

Ceedee

Jebb Lane looks good, but the obvious way to get to it would be via the motorway roundabout which definitely does not look quite so nice! Either that or come down the dual carriageway bit of the A637 and cross over before the roundabout. How did you get to the lane?

Straight down the A637 and turn right like you say, Jebb Lane starts with 10-12% climb and then a steady ride back on to the official route.

ColinJ

Can't make the 23rd stick with the original 16Th!!
Oh, I'd forgotten about this thread!

Well that makes things awkward! The trouble about asking people about dates is that you usually end up with an even spread of people over all the dates so it doesn't actually help to make a decision.

It would make more sense to choose the 16th and not clash with the Ron Kitching ride, but then somebody will probably come along and tell us about a great event on the 16th!

Given the soaking that several of us got yesterday, I almost feel tempted to say the 16th if the weather is good, and if not, the 23rd. Then I could see DCL signing up for the RK, it peeing it down on the 16th and me doing the ride by myself on the 23rd! :wacko:

I tell you what - let's make it democratic! I'll start the thread, see who is interested and take a vote on the two dates. The majority wins. If it is a draw, I'll toss a coin to decide. Can't say fairer than that.

Top Bottom