Westerley spring crits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Frank normally does this stuff but is busy racing across Australia so i thought i would have a crack at it .
Not racing across Australia !
The Westerley are holding their spring crits at Hillingdon cycle track . http://www.westerley.cc/racing/road-races-and-crits/spring-crits/
Plenty of free parking , a club house with changing rooms and a dedicated cycle circuit . There is also lots of tea and cake .
If you want to race then sign up early but if you just want to come along and enjoy the day there is loads of space to set up a deck chair ( deck chairs are not included in the westerley sprig crits )

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'm totally minced on Port and did growing up in Uxbridge so this seems like a great idea. I'm a BC race silver member so should be able to buy a day licence?

S-Express

I'm totally minced on Port and did growing up in Uxbridge so this seems like a great idea. I'm a BC race silver member so should be able to buy a day licence?

Silver membership gives you a provisional licence, so you can race on a provisional licence, so no need to buy a day licence. Without a full licence, you just won't get ranking points if you finish top 10, that's all.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Bollo's point and the web site ( for my own club ) confused me . I just TT so dont need a licence .
Silver membership with BC will put you in cat 4 for one or two races ?

S-Express

These are BC sanctioned events, so you will need BC membership and a race licence to compete.

If you don't have either, you can buy day membership and a day licence when you sign on.

If you have membership and a provisional licence, you can race, but you will not be awarded ranking points if you place top 10, because you only have a provisional licence, as opposed to a full licence.

If you have membership and no licence, you can buy a day licence when you sign on.

All new riders start in 4th category and stay there until you have accumulated 12 ranking points, in order to move up to 3rd category.

E&OE

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Thanks both. The very odd time I've done this it's been as S-Express has said, but the BC site never fills me with confidence about current arrangements.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Call the engravers, that Lantern Rouge is going to need a new name on it!

Wifely approval granted and entry in. Thanks for the heads up @Cuchilo.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Shameless bump.

A very good day out had by most - I only heard about the guy who broke his arm and saw the ambo but I imagine he'd had better. Very pleased with my ride although I was never going to trouble the front. Riding in such a large racing group on a dedicated track is something I've not done before. I averaged 39kmph for the hour and even managed (to lose) a sprint finish in my grupetto and only a lap down on the lead group, so no complaints.

@Cuchilo A few riders were asking about pics after the race so I've put some up on my flickr account. I'm happy for your club to use them if they want.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskVm6xG8

Samples (me in blue + yellow Venta top in the last photo)
34080098822_cc1de77972_z.jpg
33426452413_77fbf6b17d_z.jpg
33853089370_3616365bc6_z.jpg
34106506131_de0f793771_z.jpg

I'm usually the one behind the lens but my partner in cycling crime James took over snapper duties for the day. Sorry only the men's race but both me and James were on a timer.

Last edited:

S-Express

In the first pic - how long has that 'gantry' thing (the structure over the track) been there? Not been to Hillingdon since last summer, but pretty sure it wasn't there last year.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
In the first pic - how long has that 'gantry' thing (the structure over the track) been there? Not been to Hillingdon since last summer, but pretty sure it wasn't there last year.
No idea as this was my first visit. I didn't pay it a huge amount of notice so can't remember if it was mounted on a swing arm or permanently in place. Looks like it could fold.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Thanks Bollo . Ive given the link to the club .
The gantry has been there for a few years . Ive been going there for three maybe four years and its always been there .

Top Bottom