Western Isles or Outer Hebrides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
UK's prevailing wind is not simply SW quadrant round the year.
Seasonal variation of the prevailing wind direction in Britain
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wea.301/pdf
"For the months of April and May the frequency of northeasterlies is about equal to that of southwesterlies. In fact, during some decades, the prevailing wind at many sites during these months is northeasterly."
So in April or May you're just as likely to have favourable wind going NE-SW to Barra. And (according to @dellzeqq ) midge free whatever the wind strength.

My regular training (and other Heb CC colleagues) tells me otherwise. It's very rare that training rides set off in a northerly direction to get a tail wind return. ;)

Although spring tends to have a maximum frequency of winds from the north east, the majority are still south-westerly.

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
We did the Outer Hebrides a couple of years back.
Solid SW the whole week. We kept seeing the same family of cyclists heading down from Harris to Barra.
They didn't look like they were having too much fun. Although a few days of sideways rain will do that to anyone.

OP
OP
flyingfifi

flyingfifi

Über Member
It's a great place to ride and visit. My advice would be, for some odd reason mostly relating to Barra which is a great place:

1. If arriving on Barra at night be sure to eat on the boat. It's possible everything will be closed in Castlebay.

2. If you are using B&B be sure to book the night you arrive in Barra in advance as availability can be limited.

3. Use the western route round Barra, it's more interesting and avoids a steep climb

4. Visit in the little sandwich shop on Castlebay harbour for salmon sandwiches and/or tablet. It's to die for.

5. Don't over plan. Have an idea of where you want to go but don't bother with route planning. The place is small enough to idly wander through - just keep heading northish

6. If using bunk houses when I was there the Benbecula one was overrun with students staying longterm and partying all night. There were events which made me feel threatened, which is very unusual. This aside bunk houses are excellent accommodation but be sure to arrive early to get a bed.

Before I arrived I had no idea there was anywhere of such stunning and varied natural beauty in the British Isles. Breathtaking doesn't come close.
thanks am going to take my time there and doing a lot of camping and some hostels :girldance:

I went clockwise - Uig - Lochmaddy - Stornaway - Ullapool - Kyle - Uig - Late may Early June - no idea if it was the right way - winds were negligible - little beasties practically non existent - only drawback was Stornaway on a Sunday - Closed
I well remember that on a car touring holiday. (Must get back on a bike - best way to see it).
I remember the swings in the playground tied up and an odd landlady who at breakfast clearly had some odd objection to me and the gf. And served us what seemed like watered down orange juice.
Real "oranges are not the only fruit" experience it was.
Beautiful bit of the world but i can't help but think that if i grew up there i might be tempted to reach for a machine gun

iandg

Legendary Member
I well remember that on a car touring holiday. (Must get back on a bike - best way to see it).
I remember the swings in the playground tied up and an odd landlady who at breakfast clearly had some odd objection to me and the gf. And served us what seemed like watered down orange juice.
Real "oranges are not the only fruit" experience it was.
Beautiful bit of the world but i can't help but think that if i grew up there i might be tempted to reach for a machine gun

Bought 4 kids up here (they were between 8 yrs and 1 yr old when we moved up) - they enjoyed their childhood.

iandg

Legendary Member
Well yes it is idyllic and I trust you weren't partnered with our landlady or of the fundamentalist persuasion.

all the best

I've enjoyed living here but wouldn't say it's been that idyllic, it can be frustrating at times. The 'fundamentalist persuasion' get my goat. Been here since 1998, kids have left now (and probably wont come back) and I have no intention of staying when I retire.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say living here is that idyllic, can be frustrating at times. The 'fundamentalist persuasion' get my goat. Been here since 1998, kids have left now (and probably wont come back) and I have no intention of staying when I retire.
Ah, thanks for the reply mr wicker. Have the impression that maybe our impressions/views are actually pretty similar. I also seem to remember going in a second hand book shop, may have been religiously linked, and seeing one or two dodgy books.

All the best - i do very much hope to get back your way.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hostels I recommend: http://www.gatliff.org.uk/
Stayed at Rhenigidale and Berneray. Basic, Cheap loverly!
Isle of Berneray is beautiful and reallyworth some time.
Harris is the most beautiful IMO buit the hardest cycling. The reward is in the effort
Lewis is Bleak
Not explored further south than Grimsay...yet
Always carry 24hrs emergency rations - food stores are few and far between, as are pubs. I was lucky to get a Tourist map which shows the location of food stores, cash machines and the like.
The weather is a feature of the place, learn to embrace it
Eat on the Ferries
People are kind and friendly and drive nicely
I'm going back sometime soon.....

Heading North out of Tarbert Day 1, up and through the valley ahead
IMG_4497.JPG

Rhenigidale towards the Standing Stones....
IMG_4504.JPG

Wild camping at the Butt of Lewis

IMG_4525.JPG

Busy roads....

IMG_4575.JPG

Beautiful Berneray....

IMG_4687.JPG

IMG_4631.JPG

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I visited almost 10 years ago and have always wanted to go back. Last time I took the ferry to Oban, then worked my way up to Stornoway, staying at the Gatliff Trust hostels. It's beautiful.

Earlier this week I was googling train tickets and got Manchester to Inverness for £40 return. A quick phone call to a friend and I booked two tickets, so I'm revisiting again. Inverness to Ullapool, ferry, then five nights on Lewis and Harris. Can't wait.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Has anybody done the western isles :reading:,what,s the best way round ie south to north or to north to south :bicycle:
Both!

We did this last July, it was stunning. Circular route starting and finishing in Ardrossan but you can get train back from various points.

Pre booked all accommodation as not carrying tents.

On my blog and posting it up in Travelogues now

robing

Über Member
I did a Hebridean End to End in 2015 (details on my blog) and loved it so much I went back last year and am going this year too :bicycle:^_^
The weather can make or break this trip, so if you can be flexible with your dates and hopefully get some decent weather, then cycling doesn't get much better than this. I didn't find getting food too much of a problem, certainly on the Uists and Barra. There are several Co-ops at convenient intervals which have long opening hours including Sundays. Barra Airport is definitely worth a visit to watch the planes take off and land on the beach. The causeways are spectacular - particularly the Eriskay-South Uist one. Gatliffe hostels are good and you can also camp at them for a reduced fee and use the facilities.

This year I want to spend a bit more time and go off the beaten track.

Top Bottom