wet feet ; i have the ultimate solution

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnRedcoRn

given that shoes, shoe covers and waterproof socks will withstaand a shower but NOT perhaps a downpour for 50 miles or so, i'm considering duck taping bread bags or similar over my shoes for my next big ride. This of course will cause me to look like a complete tool.

how about a vote ;

look like a tool but with dry feet
maintain my street cred and avoid mockery but with wet feet ?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Will keep the rain out, but also the sweat in. I've done it on a tour though - carrier bags and parcel tape. Worked well, but they're not very re-usable.

If you're riding 50 miles in pi$$ing rain, I'm not sure that street-cred will be your number one priority!

OP
OP
JohnRedcoRn

JohnRedcoRn

*****SENSIBLE CONTENT PLEASE READ***********

bin liners taped around the thighs then...

seriously though, is there a sensible solution other than hoping it doesnt rain...

heres a thought - if bad weathers anticipated, carry spare shoes and socks in a pannier or rucksack (which would also have to be waterproof) that was my sensible idea, any thoughts ?

dodgy

My thoughts - if it's raining, stay in and fix those niggling faults (that you will have) on your bike instead.
I don't own any serious wet weather gear, yet still count myself as a fairly serious cyclist. Even in our crap summers, I still get out 3 or more times a week.

Signed,
A Fair weather cyclist.

Noodley

I have a photo of a "legend" of Audax UK wearing a bread bag on his head before we set off on a 300k ride in the far north of Scotland. Strange, as it wasnae raining. :biggrin:

Sealskinz are only good if you can ensure the water cannot run down the inside of the sock. If it does, then your feet will become heavier and uncomfortable as the water does not escape! I know this as I rode a 600km route in the rain wearing Sealskinz. :angry:

Mr Pig

Disgruntled Goat said:
Will keep the sweat in and the rain will find a way in down your ankles

It does. I've tried putting my feet into polly bags, putting them into my shoes then cutting off the top bit of the bag. In heavy rain the water runs down your leg into the bag and your feet get wet anyway. Keeps the wind out though to your feet stay warmer.

Works ok for short, not too wet rides.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Angelfishsolo said:
Possibly try coating feet with petroleum jelly or 'Sudocrem'. I am certainly going to use one of them to prevent embarrassing chaffing on my next long ride.

These may stop your feet going wrinkly. There is stuff (eg Hydropel, Gurney Goo) sold for adventure racers etc who may be running with soggy feet all day, but in the US only.

It won't keep your feet warm tho'.

MessenJah

Rider
Just wear thermal sealskinz. Or thin ones plus waterproof overshoes. Regardless of what you do, your feet will get wet either through excess sweat or through rain penetration. At least with thermal sealskinz (or similar socks) your feet remain warm, so it's not as displeasurable as having cold wet feet.

Bigtallfatbloke

why dont they make an all in one set of waterproof longs with the overshoes already contected so that there is no seam (leakage point) for the water to get into your feet?

Top Bottom