Wet Weather Clothing & Commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say
Okay, so you need to get to your destination and you look outside. Typical British weather, heavy showers. Wet roads. Pretty dull. The trees are noticeably taking a good beating from the wind...

What do you wear (and why) in this weather and how do you prepare your bike?

Bonus Point: How do you carry your load (if a load is applicable, e.g. books or groceries)

vickster

Legendary Member
Well maintained bike with full mudguards
Ride cautiously avoiding the edge of the road, potholes, drain covers/metalwork, white/yellow/red paint of road markings
Waterproof jacket (ride slower to avoid boil in bag), waterproof trousers in winter, overshoes, waterproof gloves, head covering (under helmet if worn), front and rear lights illuminated on bike

Waterproof panniers for carrying stuff, like ortliebs

If it really is blowing a gale and driving rain, consider the bus

Have a look at the sticky for new commuters

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For a wet commute.
In the summer - the same as what I wear for a dry commute. Lycra s/s shirt, shorts and baggies. Getting rained on in the warmer months is no problem. Lycra dries very quickly.

In the winter. Sealskins Waterproof socks ( They work for some people, not for others), under the baggies I wear leggings. On top, long sleeve jersey and a waterproof jacket. For very cold temps I wear a Altura Nightvision Evo. For milder winter temps, a Montane Featherlite.

For shoe coverings, over the years I have found there is no point. Water will always get in due to the holes in the bottom for cleats etc. Waterproof trousers, once again there's no point imo, you just get that boil in the bag syndrome.

Preparing the bike. My commuter get's cleaned and re-oiled/lubed every week regardless of weather, and once a month a full strip down, deep clean, re-lube/oiled and greased. I do a 30+ mile round commute so need the bike working properly always. Cleaning it is a good way to spot any potential problems of which I fix rather then leaving it another day and regretting it.

I check my tyres before or after every ride. Dig out anything that is stuck to the tyre, otherwise anything stuck in the tyre will work it's way in and cause a puncture. So try to get into the habit. This year, touch wood, I haven't had any punctures on my commute.

Bonus point.
I carry everything in panniers. I used to use a rucksack, but found it far too uncomfortable and cumbersome.

Tin Pot

Guru
Okay, so you need to get to your destination and you look outside. Typical British weather, heavy showers. Wet roads. Pretty dull. The trees are noticeably taking a good beating from the wind...

What do you wear (and why) in this weather and how do you prepare your bike?

Bonus Point: How do you carry your load (if a load is applicable, e.g. books or groceries)

No change in clothing, just overshoes.
Because I generate too much heat for other clothing and you get wet anyway.
Mudguards.
End.

Bonus point: Pockets of jersey.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Depends, If its light patchy rain/drizzle then i have a Castelli Wind Jersey that is some what water resistant. I got caught out in a heavy downpour once for at least 20mins, and even though the jacket was soaked on the outside, No rain actually made it inside. Baggy shorts with Castelli nanoflex leg warmers can usually take the odd splash - though legwarmers are very situational and its summer now. Otherwise I have an Endura Helium jacket & some overtrousers paired with some Shimano MT71 shoes which should be fairly waterproof but not absolutely 100% watertight.

Normally if i know its going to be pouring down in buckets for the entire day then I'll forego cycling and take public transport but since I have proper mudguards fitted to my commuter, ive become a bit more tenacious and will go out on the bike so long as the downpour isnt torrential.

::EDIT::

Oh and i wear a Gore or SealSkinz waterproof cycling cap under the helmet to keep the rain out of my eyes and off my noggin.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ride cautiously avoiding the edge of the road, potholes, drain covers/metalwork, white/yellow/red paint of road markings
Waterproof jacket (ride slower to avoid boil in bag), waterproof trousers in winter, overshoes, waterproof gloves, head covering (under helmet if worn), front and rear lights illuminated on bike
^^ This, except I prefer rainlegs to overtrousers unless it's really torrential or I'm travelling far (you get damp trouser legs just from walking in the rain and it's not that awful) and please don't wear anything under a helmet unless the manufacturer approves (most don't) else you're getting all the drawbacks for possibly no benefit. Oh and I don't use lights just because it's raining - only if it's darkish too.

I prefer to keep away from roads where possible because motorists are flaming anti-social and kick up huge amounts of spray.

Or Basil with Alpkit or similar drybags inside.

It's rarely that bad! ;)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just stick the waterproofs on, a bit 'boil in the bag' but not too bad.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Lights for wet weather sometimes, especially in the wintertime, even if it is light.

And a change of clothes, possibly spare socks and gloves for the homeward journey (I hate putting on wet clothes in wintertime.)

Katherine

Guru
It really does depend on the temperature, if there is somewhere to change into dry clothes at the other end and if you would get cold if you were wet. If so, then waterproof over trousers, jacket, overshoes etc are worth being a bit sweaty for. I wear leather lace up shoes which keep out light rain when it's too warm for over shoes. Water proof socks are worth it too. I keep spare socks at work. On a long wet leisure ride I will change into dry gloves halfway.
All items of luggage are wrapped in plastic bags, zip lock bags etc, inside whatever you normally use to transport it.

classic33

Leg End Member
^^ This, except I prefer rainlegs to overtrousers unless it's really torrential or I'm travelling far (you get damp trouser legs just from walking in the rain and it's not that awful) and please don't wear anything under a helmet unless the manufacturer approves (most don't) else you're getting all the drawbacks for possibly no benefit. Oh and I don't use lights just because it's raining - only if it's darkish too.

I prefer to keep away from roads where possible because motorists are flaming anti-social and kick up huge amounts of spray.

Or Basil with Alpkit or similar drybags inside.

It's rarely that bad! ;)
How about having to pedal down a hill you'd normally be freewheeling, just to move, at little over walking speed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cycle_bug

cycle_bug

thought i had something more to say

Have a look at the sticky for new commuters

I checked out the guide for new commuters, great stuff!

How does the head covering under the helmet leave your hair?

For a wet commute.
In the summer - the same as what I wear for a dry commute. Lycra s/s shirt, shorts and baggies. Getting rained on in the warmer months is no problem. Lycra dries very quickly.

In the winter. Sealskins Waterproof socks ( They work for some people, not for others), under the baggies I wear leggings. On top, long sleeve jersey and a waterproof jacket. For very cold temps I wear a Altura Nightvision Evo. For milder winter temps, a Montane Featherlite.

For shoe coverings, over the years I have found there is no point. Water will always get in due to the holes in the bottom for cleats etc. Waterproof trousers, once again there's no point imo, you just get that boil in the bag syndrome.

Preparing the bike. My commuter get's cleaned and re-oiled/lubed every week regardless of weather, and once a month a full strip down, deep clean, re-lube/oiled and greased. I do a 30+ mile round commute so need the bike working properly always. Cleaning it is a good way to spot any potential problems of which I fix rather then leaving it another day and regretting it.

I check my tyres before or after every ride. Dig out anything that is stuck to the tyre, otherwise anything stuck in the tyre will work it's way in and cause a puncture. So try to get into the habit. This year, touch wood, I haven't had any punctures on my commute.

Bonus point.
I carry everything in panniers. I used to use a rucksack, but found it far too uncomfortable and cumbersome.

Is it worth buying a set of lycra based clothing for the summer? So far in normal clothes it's been a bit uncomfortable, but not to the point I've ever actually thought to change anything yet. Checked out the Altura site, they have some fantastic looking gear. The whole Night Vision series seems like the gear I'll go for, even their pannier bags look nice. I assume a brand like that making cycling gear will be of good quality. How do you deep clean your individual gears and chain? One of those little wind up things that you get from Halfords? Good point on keeping tyres clean. I was planning on using twin panniers, one for uni stuff and books etc - valuables the other for a spare set of clothes / gloves and 'cycling and bike' stuff only. Possibly a top bag for the pannier rack - just a small on with my spare tube and multi tool inside. Is there any way to lock or cable tie a pannier back to the bike permanently or is this a bad idea for theft?

No change in clothing, just overshoes.
Because I generate too much heat for other clothing and you get wet anyway.
Mudguards.
End.

Bonus point: Pockets of jersey.

Don't you find that pockets are in your way? I have an iPhone 6 Plus - the big one - and when its in my jacket it digs into my lower ribs, especially up hill :-(

Depends, If its light patchy rain/drizzle then i have a Castelli Wind Jersey that is some what water resistant. I got caught out in a heavy downpour once for at least 20mins, and even though the jacket was soaked on the outside, No rain actually made it inside. Baggy shorts with Castelli nanoflex leg warmers can usually take the odd splash - though legwarmers are very situational and its summer now. Otherwise I have an Endura Helium jacket & some overtrousers paired with some Shimano MT71 shoes which should be fairly waterproof but not absolutely 100% watertight.

Normally if i know its going to be pouring down in buckets for the entire day then I'll forego cycling and take public transport but since I have proper mudguards fitted to my commuter, ive become a bit more tenacious and will go out on the bike so long as the downpour isnt torrential.

::EDIT::

Oh and i wear a Gore or SealSkinz waterproof cycling cap under the helmet to keep the rain out of my eyes and off my noggin.

I refuse to discuss bad weather kit when the sun is shining. <unsubscribe> thread = true

How are you getting on by not taking the bus? To be honest I'm stingy enough to prefer cycling in these situations given that the bus involves a miserable wait getting soaked anyway and then stings me about £7 for the day. I have cheap £10 Halfords mudguards which actually do a decent job, but for commuting I'll be looking for the very best.

Paramo waterproof overtrousers and jacket.
Waterproof shoes (or replacement shoes/socks for the other side). Waterproof shoes are the tough part IMO.

If you wear waterproof shoes does that mean you can wear normal socks?

Just stick the waterproofs on, a bit 'boil in the bag' but not too bad.

Loving this phrase 'boil in the bag', pretty good way of summing it up.

Lights for wet weather sometimes, especially in the wintertime, even if it is light.

And a change of clothes, possibly spare socks and gloves for the homeward journey (I hate putting on wet clothes in wintertime.)

What do you do with the wet socks / gear on the return journey?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Is it worth buying a set of lycra based clothing for the summer? So far in normal clothes it's been a bit uncomfortable, but not to the point I've ever actually thought to change anything yet. Checked out the Altura site, they have some fantastic looking gear. The whole Night Vision series seems like the gear I'll go for, even their pannier bags look nice. I assume a brand like that making cycling gear will be of good quality. How do you deep clean your individual gears and chain? One of those little wind up things that you get from Halfords? Good point on keeping tyres clean. I was planning on using twin panniers, one for uni stuff and books etc - valuables the other for a spare set of clothes / gloves and 'cycling and bike' stuff only. Possibly a top bag for the pannier rack - just a small on with my spare tube and multi tool inside. Is there any way to lock or cable tie a pannier back to the bike permanently or is this a bad idea for theft?

Yes it is worth buying a set for the summer. You will sweat on summer commute. Lycra is very good for dissipating sweat and wet. It also doesn't take long to dry when hung up. However, make sure you get a few pairs of shorts. A clean pair everyday. Wear the same everyday without washing them and you will be asking for trouble.

Altura, DHB at Wiggle, Endura, all good, reliable well made, good priced brands. You can't really go wrong with these.

Regarding panniers, I have a set of Altura panniers for my commute bike. If you wanted to lock them to the bike then get a cable lock, thread through the handles of the panniers and lock to the bike. However, a determined thief with a good pair of wire cutters could easily have them away. But if you leave nothing in them then there's no point in anyone stealing them except if they just wanted the bags. I don't think you need a top bag as 2 panniers (dependent on size) will be more then enough for everything you carry.

In regards to gears and chains. Once a week grab an old rag. Run the chain backwards through the rag to wipe off all the old gunk. Apply some lube, a drop on each roller on the inside of the chain, wipe off the access with the rag by once again running the chain through the rag. You don't want too much lube left on the chain as it just attacks muck and causes an awful mess. Do that once a week and your chain will be fine and kept gunk free.

Tin Pot

Guru
Don't you find that pockets are in your way? I have an iPhone 6 Plus - the big one - and when its in my jacket it digs into my lower ribs, especially up hill :-(

What do you do with the wet socks / gear on the return journey?

I can't see how your using jersey pockets (these are always on your back) it could stick into your ribs - I too have an iPhone 6+

Wet gear has to be dried out before you put it on or dry our as you ride back.

As I don't take silly waterproofs there is no real problem here for me.

Top Bottom