Wet Weather Clothing & Commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How about having to pedal down a hill you'd normally be freewheeling, just to move, at little over walking speed.
Did that often while living in Somerset. Cycling was still better than standing in that wind waiting for a bus that might have be cancelled (can't blame them - taking a double-decker along the clifftops in that can't have been fun).

And occasionally, I'd return before the wind changed and get to freewheel uphill, but it didn't seem to happen so often.

Is it worth buying a set of lycra based clothing for the summer? So far in normal clothes it's been a bit uncomfortable, but not to the point I've ever actually thought to change anything yet.
I don't like it. I go for technical walking fabrics (anything from Regatta to Rohan) in warmer weather.

How do you deep clean your individual gears and chain? One of those little wind up things that you get from Halfords?
I deep clean by putting it in a bottle of degreaser, letting it dry, then slathering in oil, but I try to avoid it. The mickle method is better. Those wind-up things seem to help chains wear faster but I don't understand why.

Is there any way to lock or cable tie a pannier back to the bike permanently or is this a bad idea for theft?
Most have handles or holes you can lock to the rack and I do this for a few minutes (especially if other bikes in the park have their panniers still on) but it seems risky to do it for long. I've a set of Basil Mara double panniers that fold up (they've only boards at their bottoms) and can be popped in a packable rucksack.

What do you do with the wet socks / gear on the return journey?
Drybags will keep water in as well as out, but don't let them fester in there and turn the bag inside-out after unloading!

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
How are you getting on by not taking the bus? To be honest I'm stingy enough to prefer cycling in these situations given that the bus involves a miserable wait getting soaked anyway and then stings me about £7 for the day. I have cheap £10 Halfords mudguards which actually do a decent job, but for commuting I'll be looking for the very best.

Well, I live in london so i get to take the tube :tongue: Either way i have a dislike for both forms of public transport, Some busses take forever to arrive and are often slow depending on the time of day. Tube works out fairly well unless theres a tube strike, signal problems or engineering works (about 10-20% of the tube infrastructure is shut down every weekend for engineering works) and thats before we've even gotten to the passengers that smell, passengers with noisy, misbehaving or crying children, carriages packed tighter then a can of sardines with no air conditioning and occasionally heating turned on, on the odd bus or tube in the middle of a heatwave, but oh theres nothing they can do about it because heating can only be turned off at the depot.....

Yeah, i think i'll stick to my bike unless otherwise.

::EDIT::

oh, and i forgot to add - passengers wearing suicide vests or carrying explosives/chemical weapons in their backpacks :tongue: (gotta be able to have a laugh about it this day and age - the grim reality of it is very real)

I say this as someone who had a member of family almost killed at kings cross when a suicide bomber blew up a bus on the 7th july 2005.

Thankfully she was lucky enough to be out of blast radius so escaped unscathed

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Did that often while living in Somerset. Cycling was still better than standing in that wind waiting for a bus that might have be cancelled (can't blame them - taking a double-decker along the clifftops in that can't have been fun).

And occasionally, I'd return before the wind changed and get to freewheel uphill, but it didn't seem to happen so often.
IF I ever get to freewheel up this
Image4.jpg

because it's wind assist, I'll let you know.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Proper mudguards, walking shoes, if you're bothered about road spray then hikers gaiters can help keep the lower legs presentable.

Soft-shell tops are surprisingly good for showers and short sharp heavier bursts of rain and none of the boil in the bag problems of even lightweight or supposedly breathable waterproof jackets.

There is no worse cycling feeling than putting your feet back into damp socks, a spare pair is a godsend.

Also, if you don't anyway, put a pair of latex gloves in you repair kit, if you do happen to get a puncture or mechanical in the cold and wet, they make a heck of a difference to keeping some feeling in your fingertips.

A tea towel or one of the travel miceofibre ones packs nice and small and is good enough to dry you off sufficiently after a proper soaking if you are going on elsewhere and not changing just yet or somewhere with poor facilities.

Avoid puddles and wet gutters (avoid gutters full stop) never put your wheels into anything you can't see clearly through. Wet metalwork and paint on the road is far more slippery than the rest of the road surface.

It is surprisingly rare to get caught in proper rain that needs it's own accessories though, even in supposedly rainy Manchester, it's a rare treat.

As for luggage, I always spray my bags.with a waterproofing spray just to be belt and braces but generally if it claims to be waterproof it usually is for normal bad weather. If you're worried or it really is blatting it down, put your books etc into a plastic bag first then even if you do get leakage then the contents are safe.

Top Bottom