Wet weather gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I use neoprene overshoes in the winter, but more for warmth than anything else.

I never worry about my legs getting wet, just aim to keep the top half dry. If it's warm I don't usually bother with any protection except mudguards and a cap (keeps the rain off my glasses)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
At this time of year cycle jacket and shorts...

OP
OP
G

Graham1

Thanks for the info, I am lucky enough to be able to shower when I get to work, I think it will be just a jacket, unfortunately I have a job drying my kit as I am a lorrydriver on permanent nights and my boss seems to turn the heating off once the office closes at 9pm, but we will win through in the end.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Neopreme overshoes arent bad, but i have found that because i dont ever use a front mudguard, when there is alot of standing water the front wheel throws up the water to my feet. This then soaks the overshoes, and then goes right through to the shoe. It felt like i had a puddle in there once aswellxx(
Another vote for the balled up newspaper. When i come back and my shoes are wet i put the newspaper in and leave them under the radiator in the hall. By the next day the shoes will be dry.
I dont like a cycling cap when its raining heavy. I found it was too heavy and was easier to ride without one. On a sunny day though, they are really useful. But then i dont wear glasses so i dont have a problem with them much.
Lycra and my club jersey i find is good when it rains. It wont keep you too warm up top so a thin vest or thin jersey will help to keep you warm when its windy or you go down a hill.

bonj2

dont' bother with the whole waterproof over-trousers or all in one bodysuit type garb. I've got an 'oxford bone dry' all in one waterproof suit but the one time i wore it I bonked 'cos it was so bloody difficult to cycle in.
The only thing is to stay warm, really. I don't personally mind getting wet as long as i'm not cold. The only thing that's slightly bad is when your stuff gets wet on the way in, and you have to put that stuff back on for coming home and it's still wet when you put it on again.
My personal rules:
a) never DONT' cycle to work simply because it MIGHT rain. (although I consider it acceptable to drive if it actually IS raining.) If it rains on the way in, either put up with it being slightly damp coming home again (ok now 'cos it's summer), have a spare change of cycling gear kept at work (what i'll probably do when it gets more wintery), or make use of drying facilities (if you've got them count yourself lucky!)
(;) always cycle to work unless there's a specific reason not to. for me, that's usually something to do in the early evening like playing squash, or having to carry something like a parcel - but it's rare for there not to be at least two such instances a week, but i still normally get at least two cyclings in per week..

hackbike 6

I have trouble drying my stuff as well as it goes in my locker all day.the facilities at my work are crap.even the petrolheads have had trouble so we had no chance.locking my bike up in the 'compound' bit adds about 20 mins to my day but its almost worth it for a quiet life.as we have just got plumbed in drinking water looks like i'll have to wait another twenty years for showers.i've been there 19 years already.

bonj2

hackbike 6 said:
I have trouble drying my stuff as well as it goes in my locker all day.the facilities at my work are crap.even the petrolheads have had trouble so we had no chance.locking my bike up in the 'compound' bit adds about 20 mins to my day but its almost worth it for a quiet life.as we have just got plumbed in drinking water looks like i'll have to wait another twenty years for showers.i've been there 19 years already.
Why dont' you leave? That's plenty long enough to be considered a decent length of service on your cv.

OP
OP
G

Graham1

bonj said:
dont' bother with the whole waterproof over-trousers or all in one bodysuit type garb. I've got an 'oxford bone dry' all in one waterproof suit but the one time i wore it I bonked 'cos it was so bloody difficult to cycle in.
The only thing is to stay warm, really. I don't personally mind getting wet as long as i'm not cold. The only thing that's slightly bad is when your stuff gets wet on the way in, and you have to put that stuff back on for coming home and it's still wet when you put it on again.
My personal rules:
a) never DONT' cycle to work simply because it MIGHT rain. (although I consider it acceptable to drive if it actually IS raining.) If it rains on the way in, either put up with it being slightly damp coming home again (ok now 'cos it's summer), have a spare change of cycling gear kept at work (what i'll probably do when it gets more wintery), or make use of drying facilities (if you've got them count yourself lucky!)
(:angry: always cycle to work unless there's a specific reason not to. for me, that's usually something to do in the early evening like playing squash, or having to carry something like a parcel - but it's rare for there not to be at least two such instances a week, but i still normally get at least two cyclings in per week..
I usually cycle at least twice a week, even in the wet, the only excuse i have made was on Friday when my daughter turned up just before i was due to leave with my week old grand-daughter I thought sod it go in by car.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
Had the perfect opportunity to try out cycling in the rain last night! It tipped it down, just as bad as last week's football match. I got drenched to the skin, but the only downside was it was difficult to keep warm. I am glad the temperature didn't drop too much - it remained at about 15 or 16°C with a moderately stiff breeze.
I'm not sure you could ever put enough stuff on to keep dry in weather like that, so there is little point. Water and wind proof trousers over the tights would have been useful for keeping a bit warmer perhaps.
My main fear in this kind of weather is hail, but I was spared last night!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A waterproof top helps loads - main thing is keeping warm. If you have drying issues at work, is there anywhere you could hang your stuff and use a desk fan' to dry them - they work really well - bring in a few hangers, put wet stuff on them and blast with the fan - it'll be dry in a couple of hours...

Top Bottom