Wetherby to pickering route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S1mon

As title really now I'm finally finding my fitness after my ops.
I am looking for a route to avoid the a64 from wetherby end .
And also the a170 Sutton bank .
Don't fancy 25% hills
Would be nice if GPS so could down load to garmin .
Thanks in advance.
Oh I'm crap at map reading this is why I was hoping for help

Tight Git

Veteran
Simon

Something like :

It does have a bit of the York ring road that can get busy but it avoids the major hills - I live about 3 miles along from the bottom of Sutton Bank so I know what it's like!

Hope that helps!

Canrider

Guru
I'd agree with that route. You could go through the centre of York if you wanted to avoid the ring road. You could also go up through Haxby instead of Strensall but there's not much difference in that.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I live in Sheriff Hutton, so all this is my regular stamping ground. Yes, that's a good route, but I'd avoid the ring road altogether by going thru York; there's little to lose, and York's worth a visit anyway.

The road from the ring road York to Strensall is a bit grim too; the Haxby road is slightly better. Things get a bit hilly beyond Sheriff, with a climb either up to Terrington or Bulmer, and then another ridge to get down onto the Vale of Pickering, but you've got to cross those ridges somewhere and Tight Git's route avoids the worst climbs (like Terrington Bank).

Finally, the A169 into PIckering is fast and straight and not much fun when there's traffic. There's a bridleway you can take just after you cross the river coming out of Kirby Misperton that allows you to come into Pickering on a lovely quiet back road.

I'll map all this on BRT or RWGPS if it helps the OP?

OP
OP
S1mon

S1mon

Not worried about some climbs just not fancying Sutton bank 40 odd miles in !!
I ride around pickering helmsley etc most weekends as we have a caravan there it's just the wetherby end to contend with
Thanks guys

Top Bottom