What’s going to happen to bike prices and supply in 2023?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Not watched the video, but as far as pricing goes - I bought an Emonda sl5 in summer last year. I looked at the 2023 version with exactly the same gear on it and they've stuck another £500 quid on it! Outrageous.

Watched it. "So if you guys can afford to, shop local".

Sorry but I can't afford it to spare that £££ right now. The points he makes about rising interest rates, rising bills impacting on LBSs also impact me, it means I have to cut back on spending to prepare for a possible hike in mortgage and bills beyond what I've already seen.

I've got 2 bikes right now, a 3rd would be a luxury I can't afford!

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Loads of stock in Evans atm. More than pre covid, absolutely teaming. But .. all seems quite expensive. You have to wonder if more big players will cut down staff as demand falls, people cut back on luxuries, and if the used market has plenty of lock down bikes coming through. I think we'll see smaller bike shops closing.

Bike that OH bought for £250 in a sale just before first lock down is near £500 in the shop now.

mustang1

Guru
Have you noticed cycling YouTube channels are moving away from justifying high bike prices and going along the "why are these bikes so expensive anyway?" angle?

I came across a YouTube commenter who suggested the big cycling channels aren't getting kickbacks from the cycling manufacturers and so are going up against them.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I just saw some video saying a Scott bike has gone up by £2,000 for what looks like exactly the same model/components/paint. It's now $16,000.

View: https://youtu.be/yvuwcBtkYNc

This has been happening for well over a decade now. I think people are just noticing it now more.

Most manufacturers are starting to remind me of Apple. The current iPhone has round edges, let's make the next one square-edged so people feel it's new and different. There's just pretend innovation and not real innovation.

I am really looking forward to the falling prices, especially on used bikes.

Jameshow

Veteran
I think bike prices are well overpriced. A low spec 105 Cannondale supersix could be had for £1k not do long ago. Now? £2k++

Imho Chains selling bikes will suffer. Those going more servicing will be cushioned as people want to keep their old bikes.

Top Bottom