What’s stopping women cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Not directly related to cycling but I went to my youngest granddaughter's ''Babyballet'' a few weeks ago. It was a loud and very high pitched explosion of pink. And all the babies (well, aged between 2 and 4 ) were girls. It makes little sense to ask why the baby boys didn't want to come as the decisions would have been made for them. It was a stark reminder for me as to how early gender roles get imposed on children and how pinking can replace thinking.

And you do see very few princesses on Pinarellos....

Not all of it, but I know the "be the ball" is an aggressive golf shout that originated across the pond. So my guess would be, the girls want to stop and chat whilst the boys are all aggressive American wannabes.

Could be wrong.
Pretty much spot on.

My horsey workmate says if i can have the cycle to work scheme that she should have horse to work and work should provide her with somewhere to keep it!
I quite like that idea. I may even put it to the powers that be, at the company I work with for the majority of the time I can be arsed to.

I just happened upon this blog, which seems of relevance.
http://www.mummysgoneacycle.com/womenonbikes/
Why don’t more women cycle? Why is cycling still so male dominated? What can we do to get more women on bikes?
These are questions that many people ask. They are questions I have asked myself on a number of levels.
When I used to race time trials, I never failed to be in the top ten women. This is not testament to how good I was, it is testament to how few women were time trialling. I was always in the top ten women because there were rarely ten women in the race.

My main focus at the moment is the other end of the scale. Why are so many women reluctant to get on a bike at all?
So why are the streets and cycle paths not teeming with women on bikes? According to Cycling UK in March 2017, in Scotland more than three times as many men as women cycle to work. There are a number of reasons why I think this is. This is based on my own experiences, from chatting to others and from a bit of reading. It is not an evidence based study. Bear in mind that I am talking about novice women getting on to a bike in the first place. There is also plenty to discuss about getting more women to race, but that it a discussion for another post.
  • Intimidation and fear
[...]
  • Practicality
[...]
  • It just hasn’t occurred to many people
I particularly like the suggestions for what we could do to improve the situation - which includes infrastructure improvements in the long run but also includes positive actions that we can all do now to support more women cycling - like mentoring, and setting an example, and being positive ambassadors for the joys of utility cyling.

Leving work most days at least one female colleague will comment about keeping safe and to watch out for dangerous drivers.

This almost happened to me and on a blind bend yesterday on the way home. Scared the life out of me.
Drivers were really mental yesterday. I blame the blue, super moon.

Hope today is less eventful.

YqEPr96pU1CNO.gif

Not gender specific of course.

Can't imagine what that driver was thinking with a clear road. Such appalling driving one can't help wondering, incredible as it sounds, whether it was deliberate.

Will watch rest of thread with interest. Long since given up on getting gf out on a bike.

Ta for info.

12boy

Guru
I live in Wyoming, a state with 100,000 sq miles and around 500,000 people, and I have been commuting for over 25 years. I totally agree with the mummygoneona cycle..com article as to the reasons why few people commute or ride much.
It is hard to ride to work in an office for any distance unless there is a locker and shower at the end and look ok for work.
I have doped out a safe route but my son in Chicago will not ride the excellent bike I built up for him because he does not have a safe way to go. Safety is a real concern.
Many new to biking find gears intimidating and riding, especially in traffic scary at first, and don't feel they can fix flats etc they may have.
Weather, especially high winds, ice and snow seems to be daunting.
Another factor is that until you ride enough to be comfortable on a bike the very real benefits are not realized......the stress relief of a ride home after a tough day at work, the endorphin buzz from the ride, the ability to eat a bit more and still lose weight, and knowing that if you ride in you will ride home so no need to go to a gym, as examples.
Until riding is safe and the rider learns how to set up a bike for safe travel in a range of weather, and how to dress so as to be comfortable, many people just aren't going to see this as something they want to do. In the mountain west mtn biking is very popular as it is usually done in car free areas and often in groups so it is safer on many levels. Unfortunately, it is a bit elitist as high end mtn bikes are very expensive. Still, anything that gets someone in a bike is a good thing in my opinion.
I know this doesn't specifically address why women are less likely to ride, but when biking is more normalized as a common method of transportation and not seen as only for racers and athletes, I think it likely that will change.

Alan O

Über Member
I've just started with Let's Ride rides, having gone on my first one the weekend before last - approx 30 miles at an undemanding pace, and very enjoyable. They're not focused on speed/sport/etc, but are aimed at having a nice ride with nice people, and visiting nice places.

The gender balance (of 14 people) was 50/50, and looking at other planned rides in this area, that seems to be about the usual mix. In fact, as Let's Ride also covers women-only Breeze rides, there are probably more female Let's Riders out at any one time than male.

We were overtaken at one point by Liverpool Century club riders, and that group was exactly 50/50 too (though there were only two of them, so it's perhaps not all that statistically meaningful :smile:).

Anyway, this doesn't help answer the question posed by this thread at all, but it's just an observation that I thought was encouraging.

https://www.letsride.co.uk/

Cheers, I enjoyed that. Particularly liked:
Signal to your members and followers that you are actively encouraging more women to join in. Ask what the group could do to make rides and meet-ups more welcoming! Be prepared to receive some (hopefully constructive) criticism, and be prepared to act on it! Be prepared to lose some members to the PC Gone Mad brigade. Declare zero-tolerance on sexism and other isms. Offer to support events or rides organised by and for women. Diversify! (Diversity is good!)

Top Bottom