What a blast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pedal pusher

Veteran
I normally hang out on the rodie section so this is all new to me. Just back from Dorset visiting a friend who is a keen MTB/trail rider. He took me out on the bridal paths which I really enjoyed and then out at night down all these trails and woods. The bike I had had an amazing light 5000 lux that light up like day light so it made it all great fun. What the week has done is encouraged me to get a good map and look for some bridal ways around my way

ScotiaLass

Guru
I normally hang out on the rodie section so this is all new to me. Just back from Dorset visiting a friend who is a keen MTB/trail rider. He took me out on the bridal paths which I really enjoyed and then out at night down all these trails and woods. The bike I had had an amazing light 5000 lux that light up like day light so it made it all great fun. What the week has done is encouraged me to get a good map and look for some bridal ways around my way

And there's some nice places around your area :smile:
Try your local library for maps

I must do a night ride, even a little one, maybe I'll get some lights for xmas.

And I must say, not in a pedant way, bridle, not bridal :smile: I always picture someone in a beautiful wedding dress riding a bike otherwise.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's

Last Friday was my first time on a MTB, hiring one from Pedal Progression at Ashton Court, Bristol.
Used it to ride the 'moderate' Nova Trail along the estate grounds.
Great fun, and can't wait to get out on a MTB again, could be some good training thru' the winter months before the road / TT season starts again !

Could anyone give me advice on purchasing a Hardtail, I've seen this Whyte advertised & would appreiciate any comments ............

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/54031/Whyte_801_2013_Bike

BTW my budget is £500.

Last Friday was my first time on a MTB, hiring one from Pedal Progression at Ashton Court, Bristol.
Used it to ride the 'moderate' Nova Trail along the estate grounds.
Great fun, and can't wait to get out on a MTB again, could be some good training thru' the winter months before the road / TT season starts again !

Could anyone give me advice on purchasing a Hardtail, I've seen this Whyte advertised & would appreiciate any comments ............

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/54031/Whyte_801_2013_Bike

BTW my budget is £500.

I looked at that Whyte but the 2014 model, the 2013 model is actually better as it has the Rockshox forks ( I have the same forks on son2's bike and they're OK) but is much the same apart from that. As you'd expect, chainset is basic, front derailleur adequate, gears fine, brakes are a weak point but overall I think it's a good bike and the frame is good enough to take any upgrades, plus it's a 26'er and stuff is easily available, the 2014 is 650b. It's also a very good price too for that model.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The Whyte shares it's frame with all its XC stablemates, so as Cracks says, it's an upgrader's dream. Basically with a hardtail you have to be honest about what you intend to do with the bike. If you just intend to put in loads of fast miles on moderate trails as you describe them, you don't need to spend the earth, in fact that Whyte is ideal. If however you want to get more into mountainbiking you'll find it a bit limited in terms of equipment. The fork for example is fine for taking the sting out of the trail, but would soon find its limits on anything rocky or technical, as it lacks rebound damping and will be a bit flexible when the going gets tough. However, MTBs are more or less modular -you can mix and match components at will, so you could soon find a plusher, better performing fork and move on up in terms of equipment. The frame will be the last man standing as your bike becomes Trigger's broom.

Spartak