What a difference a chain makes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dragonsnapper

Since May I’ve completed just over 3500 miles. In the last month I’ve struggled to adjust my gears; they have been slipping and been very noisy. Could not understand what was the problem.
I then noticed the the chain was not sitting on the front cog and realised that the chain needed to be replaced.
Wow what a difference. Gears changed without problems, no noise. Like riding a new bike!
The only problem was trying to join it with the Shimano “quick link”. Quick link my butt!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Buy yourself a chain checker and you’ll never need to post about your overflowing happiness ever again.

si_c

Guru
Is the new chain running on the old cassette? I would be very surprised if it is because from your description of the poor running it must have been very worn and the cassette will most likely be equally worn, which will then cause problems with the new chain.
Might be alright, but it's definitely worth watching, if you feel the chain slip at any point for the next few rides, then just replace the cassette. Also avoid putting too much torque through the cranks until you're confident everything is ok - thats an easy way to end up with a snapped derailleur hanger. DAMHIKT.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Might be alright, but it's definitely worth watching, if you feel the chain slip at any point for the next few rides, then just replace the cassette. Also avoid putting too much torque through the cranks until you're confident everything is ok - thats an easy way to end up with a snapped derailleur hanger. DAMHIKT.

And bruised plumbs.

Hopefully before the worn cassette trashes the new chain prematurely!

A worn cassette can't trash a new chain because it won't allow the chain to gain enough tension before it slips and prevents you from using it in the wear range.

A worn cassette with a new chain is thus just an inconvenience where the chain slips, on certain sprockets, under tension, but works perfectly in not-so-worn sprockets.

Go ahead. If it doesn't irritate you into changing, you're OK.

Since May I’ve completed just over 3500 miles. In the last month I’ve struggled to adjust my gears; they have been slipping and been very noisy. Could not understand what was the problem.
I then noticed the the chain was not sitting on the front cog and realised that the chain needed to be replaced.
Wow what a difference. Gears changed without problems, no noise. Like riding a new bike!
The only problem was trying to join it with the Shimano “quick link”. Quick link my butt!

You just pull it until it "snaps" into place, no rocket science.

Is the new chain running on the old cassette? I would be very surprised if it is because from your description of the poor running it must have been very worn and the cassette will most likely be equally worn, which will then cause problems with the new chain.
The OP could be lucky if he's looked after the cassette and regularly cleaned it. 3500 miles is the most Ive got without needing to replace the cassette. Chances are though your prognosis is more likely :okay:

Top Bottom