What a difference a year makes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
Last year we had 4 riders thown out of the TdF and one team pulled out altogether and it was rated as a disaster. RUN under UCI rules.

This year 4 riders tested positive and one team withdrew and it has been rated a success. RUN by the ASO rules

Something not right there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rustychisel

uncommon wisdom there, Keith.

I say if it walks like a duck and looks like a duck....

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Well, it certainly felt better... the big differences were that the dopers were caught fairly early - there was much better co-operation with the police and it didn't involved the yellow jersey.

girofan

Actually Keith, I wish they had caught more! Seems like a peculiar thing to state but let me explain.
A lot of riders, even the younger one's are doping according to the the drug testing chief of this years race, and he admitted that they only caught a proportion of those who doped!
So what do you do with those who do dope? Ban them for life!!! The only problem is that the UCI are in charge of sanctions and they refuse to take this course of action, but surely if you are just commencing your career the certain threat of a life ban would deter you?
Solutions on a postcard please to: UCI, Lussane, Switzerland.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Keith Oates said:
I think the big difference was that the UCI could not be used as the 'whipping boy'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The UCI has made its own problems, Keith - it's hardly a humble little organisation run by well-meaning nice people, is it?

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
We need not go over old ground FM, I'm not so much pro UCI as anti ASO. I also believe that those elected into power should only be defeated by being elected out of power and would agree some changes are needed in the UCI hierachy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mondobongo

Über Member
Can't quite put my finger on it but it had a calmer feel to it this year, the positives seem to have been dealt with calmly none of the sensationalism of 07.

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
I wonder why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last year had the feel of a sport still reeling from the Landis case and then being hit with another sucker punch courtesy of Mr Rasmussen. This year it feels like the authorities have got much more of a grip and the doping cases feel like they are the result of pro-active anti-doping activities rather than the reactive tail-chasing of previous years.

chris42

Could the 'better feeling' about this year be because the doper, apart from big mouth Rico who got under everyones skin, were uknowns or at the end of their careers?
Also are we as Brits feeling better because of the Cav effect and the stance made by Dave Millar on doping?

Top Bottom