What a hate filled prat.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cycling home tonight at about 21.00hrs I approached this junction in the central lane (the only one to go straight on as the left lane is for turning left only). The lights had just changed to green and I was moving at about 16mph. The traffic was moderate, it was daylight, I had my very bright lights switched on none the less and I was wearing a red Altura Night Vision jersey.

Normally, I go through the junction and then move over to the left to let any faster traffic pass. Total time for any potential delay to car drivers? about 6-8 seconds I reckon. Tonight though...

A few cars caught up with me from the previous junction but could not pass me straight away as I was in primary. The female driver of the car immediately behind me and, I hasten to add someone I had not not any previous dealings with, started sounding the horn and trying to squeeze past. I looked behind and gave a "what?" type hand gesture (really. nothing rude). As the car passed me a few seconds later the male passenger started hurling some form of verbal obscenity at me through the open window. At least I think it was obscene as I couldn't quite make it out it but it was unleashed some with venom and he did have a very red angry looking face and to follow it up he then spat at me so I'm pretty sure it wasn't exactly nice.

All that bile for a few seconds delay. What a hate filled prat. What kind of lives must these type of people lead?

Anyway, rant over. Thanks.

Hip Priest

Veteran
It'd be dangerous to go straight on at that junction in anything but primary.

So screw 'em, they just have to wait.

stephen.rooke

there some idiots out there. i was turning here
i was waiting in the middle of the junction ready to turn, lights changed to red so traffic couldn't come through. a guy went through the red light on his mobile phone and gave me abuse when i shouted he'd gone through on red. lucky my shoe was broken so i couldnt clip in or i might have hit the deck

stephen.rooke

some of the incidents ive had over the last few months would be enough to put people off cycling. close passes, having to slam my brakes on to avoid being hit by a passing lorry who pulled in too early. being cut up, red light jumpers. a white van pulling out when i was passing the junction and was driving inches away from me. i should get a helmet cam lol

sabian92

Über Member
Best idea is just to pedal on and ignore. Don't let one dick ruin your day by shouting at you - you can't reason with people like that no matter how much you try.

If it's safer to ride in primary then do it. I've said it before on here and while it is a tad morbid, what he thinks won't make a lot of difference to you when you're dead because you weren't assertive enough.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
This does not surprise me in the slightest.

They seem to turn into bullies when they get in their cars.No consideration at all.

400bhp

Guru
We had one whilst out on saturday.

Going through some roadworks where the road had been reduced to 1 lane. The roadworks were no more than 500ft. Some nobber behind beeping me - seriously, where did he expect me to cycle? In the remains of the road that was dug up?:rolleyes:

On a quiet back road on Saturday night, I heard the parp and thought, here we go again :rolleyes: they could have easily got through but I couldn't be bothered with the hassle so made a visible move of a few more inches. When they went by they put the hazards on as thankyou. Then yesterday I had a couple of drivers giving way to let me out when they had priority. There are good ones out there.

Top Bottom