What additional items. Clothing, Helmet etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mirador

I have never owned a bicycle helmet. Neither do I have any fancy cycling clothing. I watch some of my neighbours getting all "dressed up" when they go out cycling. Tight fitting lycra all over!

That is just not me. I tend to just wear some jeans and shirt or jacket and off I go.

But I am wondeeing if there is some basic clothing or items that perhaps I should get.

My only accident involved fractured ribs when I came off, slipping on loose gravel. Never hurt my head!

Thanks for any help.

Neil.

Buck

Guru
Helmets are a personal choice.

Clothing wise, jeans rub me on the bike so any comfy shorts or leggings - again a personal choice but watch for heavy seams and also think about what they'll be like if wet - chafing and heavy spring to mind :sad:

For a top. Do you cycle hard enough to break into a sweat? Anything wicking that will stop a t shirt becoming cold and uncomfortable against your skin would be good. You can get some decent looser fitting t shorts / cycling tops that are comfy, don't look too bad and are also great value - look at dhb ; Endura and Altura brands as an example

I started with shorts and t shirt but admit to now being a Lycra clad roadie - much comfier for me.

OP
OP
Mirador

Mirador

Helmets are a personal choice.

Clothing wise, jeans rub me on the bike so any comfy shorts or leggings - again a personal choice but watch for heavy seams and also think about what they'll be like if wet - chafing and heavy spring to mind :sad:

For a top. Do you cycle hard enough to break into a sweat? Anything wicking that will stop a t shirt becoming cold and uncomfortable against your skin would be good. You can get some decent looser fitting t shorts / cycling tops that are comfy, don't look too bad and are also great value - look at dhb ; Endura and Altura brands as an example

I started with shorts and t shirt but admit to now being a Lycra clad roadie - much comfier for me.
Thanks very much for your info.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I mostly ride like you (chinos rather than jeans, though - never have got on with jeans) but I did go Full Kit Whelk (FKW) for a bit. The only thing from then that I still wear are mitts for a bit of padding on longer rides and to protect my palms if I ever fall.

Bamboo or merino wool socks are good too, but I prefer them thicker and taller than most cycling socks, more hiking style.

The rest of it can go burn. The plastic hats especially (but there's anther thread for discussing those).

simongt

Guru
For my two penn'orth; depending on how far you bike, padding for the nether regions can be useful. Other than that, breathable upper half clothing is good. Personally, I wear a bash hat 99% of the time. But aside that, whatever you're comfortable wearing and stuff whatever anyone else thinks or says - ! :thumbsup:

Craghoppers do a series of "Pro Stretch" clothing that I use extensively, the stretch makes them that bit more bike friendly, and as outdoor clothing they are up too the use in terms of durability

Then there is the "Helmet"

Entirely your choice, but I would give the following advice:

Look at the "Standards" that it displays, these are the impact tests that have been carried out oil that helmet model EN1078 is virtually worthless and Snell is the toughest to pass. In theory this will give you more protection

Try it on Cannot be emphasised enough. If you wish to wear a helmet then it needs to be the right shape, size and comfortable. This can only be investigated by trying it on. If it is uncomfortable, you simply will not enjoy wearing it, get unsightly chafing and possible headaches if too tight.

Also do not get caught up in the "adjustable fit" sales claim. Adjustability should simply be refining the fit of a well fitting helmet.

... and normal clothing does not exclude the comfort of padding. Many companies sell undershorts or "liners" that can be used

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Cycling requires bugger all except for a bike of some sort.
A helmet would make a nice plant pot. That's what I'm intending on using my old one for anyway.
Admittedly for longer distances (10+ miles) I do prefer to be in the ridiculous looking lycra. For comfort.

Jackmaster

Regular
All depends on how much you ride and how much you sweat. I sweat at the hint of hot weather and when I do any kind of exercise. Adidas dryfit tops have been the most worn gear I have ever bought. Dry within minutes, wash quickly and don't stink and even better don't need ironing!

Depends on how many miles you are doing too. For a short commute normal clothes are fine. 90% of the time I don't wear a lid. But when going all out I get all geared up and embrace the lycra.

It is a lot more comfy but if you have a large gut and small penis like me best to wear black!

Sandra6

Veteran
For longer rides more "technical " clothing is usually comfier, it being better fitting, lighter and wicking sweat. But for short rides there's no reason to dress up.
Keep an eye on the arse of your jeans for wearing thin though!
A lot of companies do "urban" cycling clothes which tend to look more like normal clothes but with softer seams and more breathable fabrics.

MarkF

Guru
I have some lycra gear for my short training rides, padded shorts too for my long tours. But I can honestly say 90% of my riding is in non-cycling specific gear, t-shirts and any old shorts + trainers, I've never owned a helmet and I don't use gloves (unless it's freezing) because they irritate me.

Edit:- I forgot, I bought a £15 rain jacket from Mountain Warehouse, after looking the cost of cycle specific ones, and that is very useful. 100% waterproof, mesh lined, with hood you can draw up tight and with a peak that keeps the rain off my face. I'd definitely get one of those.:okay:

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
I have never owned a bicycle helmet. Neither do I have any fancy cycling clothing. I watch some of my neighbours getting all "dressed up" when they go out cycling. Tight fitting lycra all over!

That is just not me. I tend to just wear some jeans and shirt or jacket and off I go.

But I am wondeeing if there is some basic clothing or items that perhaps I should get.

My only accident involved fractured ribs when I came off, slipping on loose gravel. Never hurt my head!

Thanks for any help.

Neil.

Wear what you want to wear, just don't wear hi viz, it's a scam and its ugly.

All these people are dressed appropriately for the cycling they're doing, and many more abound.

cyclist-van-garderen-tejay-25806535.jpg

utrechtsummer2014-01.jpg

1299151544306-1x766j5ult3yl-630-80.jpg

651.jpg

Top Bottom