What additional items. Clothing, Helmet etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
I have never owned a bicycle helmet. Neither do I have any fancy cycling clothing. I watch some of my neighbours getting all "dressed up" when they go out cycling. Tight fitting lycra all over!

That is just not me. I tend to just wear some jeans and shirt or jacket and off I go.

But I am wondeeing if there is some basic clothing or items that perhaps I should get.

My only accident involved fractured ribs when I came off, slipping on loose gravel. Never hurt my head!

Thanks for any help.

Neil.

What kind of cycling do you do or want to do?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I just bimble along. I wear padded 3/4 shorts as i prefer them. I have some craghoppers that i can use in bad weather as well. I tend to wear any top, Snowdonia tops are a favourate of mine, but i also have a merino base layer for winter, along with a waterprof jacket, and cycling gloves also for winter.

Wear what you want and what works for you. Don't worry or bother about what others think.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Agreed. Gloves / mitts on EVERY ride for that very reason. :thumbsup: As hands are used for pretty much everything, when they are skinless and VERY sore, everyday life suddenly becomes far less enjoyable. :sad:
Yeah but fallingoff is rare so forgetting your mitts shouldn't be reason not to ride. I'm a forgetful so and so. I've even forgotten my clips and tucked my leg cuffs into my socks before :smile:

OP
OP
Mirador

Mirador

Thank you for all the replies. Will probably get some clothing items. Doubt very much anything will be skin tight!

This got a lot more replies than the bike question which rather surprised me.

Reactions: mjr

vickster

Legendary Member
Thank you for all the replies. Will probably get some clothing items. Doubt very much anything will be skin tight!

This got a lot more replies than the bike question which rather surprised me.
You only need one bike but there's loads of kit you can buy

Reactions: mjr

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm like the OP, tend to cycle in jeans most of the time and 3/4 shorts when it's hot and sunny. I'll don some padded undies for rides over 30miles, but never had any chaffing issues either way.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Wear what you want to wear, just don't wear hi viz, it's a scam and its ugly.

All these people are dressed appropriately for the cycling they're doing, and many more abound.

View attachment 365396
That guy is proudly displaying his helmet.....

pjd57

Veteran
Nice day , it's denim shorts. Not too tight.
Normal Glasgow day and it's on with the leggings. Cycled for years without considering them but struggled with getting comfortable trousers so decided to try them .
Wise decision.

Helmet , always wear one now. Never used to but since finding the right one I don't go out without it.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I always wear a high viz outer layer. For casual/short rides wear a quick drying Polo Shirt so I don't feel out of place keeping it on when I reach my destination. You can get them for £10-£15 from places like Trespass and Mountain Warehouse.

Jason

on the rare occasion I have cycled to work, some padded undershorts worked really well. This is due to the commute being 20 miles each way. The work T shirt was fine, as i bimbled along and didn't get stinky

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I never bothered with any kind of special cycle clothing for maybe my first 25 years of cycling. Finally I took the plunge and bought special cycling shoes for clipless pedals having had toeclips for decades. Worthwhile, but then you do need bike shoes just for a casual ride, albeit mine are fine to walk in. Other stuff; whilst not essential by any means cycle specific clothes are slighly more comfortable and convenient - eg thin so not overwarm but slightly windproof jackets with pockets at the back. These are quite good compared to a jumper or whatever. A winter fleecy windproof cycle jacket is brilliant in bad weather and far more use than a true wstaerproof. Whilst I do have cycle shorts I was quite comfortable in ordinary trousers, but bib 3/4 lengths are good for comfort, pariculalrly so if raining, and for not getting oil on your trousers. Gloves - well you need gloves in the cold weather regardless but cycle ones have extra hand padding which is a good thing. All in all, none are essential but all have benefit and I guess it's not wholly additional cost as your normal clothes last slighly longer if you're now not wearing them cycling.
Helmet is of course a controversial subject, but for what it's worth I used to wear one, an "early adopter" even, but I no longer do so having looked into it a bit.

Top Bottom