What age did you ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
5 or 6, slightly late but not terribly so.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I had a 3 wheel trike when i was about 2-21/2 most kids did in the 60s
About 4 when my sister pushed me off on two wheels which ended with me going straight into a sycamore tree.. Outside our house.
Never looked back

Ooops! I thought the thread was about the first bike owned. Obviously I had to be taught how to ride at a much earlier age than 12 but I can't remember how old I was or what the bike was (probably about 4 or 5). I do remember my dad walking along with me and at some stage letting go of the saddle. I went to tell him something and got no answer - he had let go and I didn't even notice!
I can remember that experience. But how did we progress from there ?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
It was a few days after my 5th Birthday, my Mum and Dad got me my first small two wheeled bike for my birthday. No stabilisers.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I set off from my grandparents in Pathhead, Midlothian aged about 3 on my trike to visit an auntie some distance away. I got beyond the bridge over the Tyne ( I think) before the police got me and took me back in a police car to where I started from.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Can't remember learning to ride and can't remember having the stabilisers removed... so I'm guessing it must have been around 4 or 5 years old. Thanks Dad! :smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

Must have been when I was 4 or 5, a pink bike with solid tyres, never had stabilizer's, taught to ride by my Dad

Smudge

Veteran
There is one particular bicycle from my childhood that i've always remembered, and it wasn't my bike.
I would have been about 9 or 10 at the time around the late 60's, and cant even remember what bike i had back then. But i got matey with a lad that lived near us that had Polish parents. This lads dad had made him a bicycle from an old moped. I remember at the time thinking it was the coolest thing ever, newly spray painted at the time in bright red. Until i had a go on it one day, damn that thing weighed a ton. This lads father obviously couldn't afford to buy his son a bike and must have put a lot of time and effort engineering this scrap moped into a push bike. It looked like a fat bike, decades before fat bikes were a thing.

Brains

Legendary Member
I remember riding my trike down the terrace we moved out of when I was about 3

It was in a terrace of brand new houses as they all looked the same, and not being able to count meant, I rode down several houses and was unable to find 'my' house to go back to, I had visions of never being found by the family!

I rode for the first time without stabilisers on the lawn of a house we moved out of when I was 7, so I guess 5 or 6 ?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I set off from my grandparents in Pathhead, Midlothian aged about 3 on my trike to visit an auntie some distance away. I got beyond the bridge over the Tyne ( I think) before the police got me and took me back in a police car to where I started from.
And nowadays the social services would be getting involved.

Top Bottom