What age did you ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
These are the earliest I can find, I think 4 years old then about 9 or 10 at my local track in Herne Bay.

scan10630.JPG

Cus20029.JPG

numbnuts

Legendary Member
The only photo I have is this one, not too sure how old I am

Drago

Legendary Member
I was riding around in my mums womb ( before I was born, not recently, I’m not some sort of deviant), the ultrasound was hilarious, apparently.
Well, thats nothing. I was riding around inside the milk man's trouser vegetables. It was a 10 speed drop barred job too (the bike that is, not the milk mans scrotum).

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I had an old trike with a big bread-bin type boot on the back when I was 4. I vividly remember the front tyre exploding due to it being worn out, and me crying hysterically.

Then, nothing, until my sister borrowed a friend's bike one summer evening when I was about seven. I took it out without asking and rode it round and round the block for about two hours. I didn't fall off at all; I could just immediately ride on two wheels.

My mum and dad came home from wherever they'd been, and saw me riding this old clunker, and going at quite a lick.

The next day my dad took me to the LBS and bought me a Raleigh Tomahawk.

postman

Legendary Member
I started cycling seriously age 37.I was going through a divorce.The Solicitor told me to stop doing overtime and submit six flat weeks payslips for my payments of maintenance.I could not do overtime because i was 'falling apart'.RIGHT.so i had loads of spare time,it was doing my head in,back with my mum in my old bedroom.I needed to get out,and someone suggested getting a bicycle,i never looked back,maybe that's why i got knocked off,no i am kidding.Found a passion and finally something i was good at.Cycling helped me get through those dark days.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Cant be exact but I was around 8 yrs. My first bike was a very old 'sit up and beg' that my dad bought from one of my school friends for (i think) 10 shillings. It was rusty so dad painted it in the colour of the can that was open.....which was bright yellow (64 years later I still recall people laughing as I rode it).
No stabilisers (where they invented then??) Dad ran besides me while holding the saddle then eventually let go without me realising.

I had a 3 wheel trike when i was about 2-21/2 most kids did in the 60s
About 4 when my sister pushed me off on two wheels which ended with me going straight into a sycamore tree.. Outside our house.
Never looked back
...nor forward by the sound of it :okay:

Me, tricyle at two years old and bike at four (my late Dad was a racing cyclist, and taught myself and my younger sister nice and early......some 51 years later I still thank him everyday for introducing me to the brilliant world of cycling...may the wind always be at your back Dad).

Dave7

Legendary Member
...nor forward by the sound of it :okay:

Me, tricyle at two years old and bike at four (my late Dad was a racing cyclist, and taught myself and my younger sister nice and early......some 51 years later I still thank him everyday for introducing me to the brilliant world of cycling...may the wind always be at your back Dad).
Lovely post.....nice to read

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Started riding at four. I rode a lot, until I was 21. I took up running. I was also involved in photography a great deal, got a job running photo stores and labs. I quit exercise when I turned 30. I was tall, and running did my legs in somewhat. I got into cycling again when I was 40, and the photo industry was dying off. I never really got out of cycling, it's just that I had a lot of free time when I wasn't working 60-70 hours a week and dealing with the demise of a cornerstone of my lifestyle up to that point. I got into cycling big time again, and used sales of used and refurbished cycles to get me through the Financial Crisis/Depression of the 2008-2015 period

gbb

Legendary Member
The first bike I remember was a blue and red maybe Raleigh with solid tyres, second hand , I'd be less than 10 but no idea really. Never had a new bike till I was 42 I think, Raeigh Chimera, nothing special but I did thousands of miles on it very good bike for the money.
As a kid of the 60s and early 70s with a father in the services , money didnt grow on trees like nowadays, it was a thrifty time in general, new bikes were an extravagance.

Smudge

Veteran
Many brand new bikes are bought for kids of all ages these days, but a lot of these bikes are cheap junk.
I saw another one dumped in our local park a few days ago, the usual not very old, full susser low quality crap bso. Left crank had completely sheared off the bb, derailleur mangled and each brake had snapped cables.

Top Bottom