What an HGV sees of you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Its a totally fair discussion topic. Would be better if there was a HGV driver involved too, to get a balanced view. I have nothing to do with HGV driving now or in the past, so no bias, but these guys do a tough job and amazes me how they manouevre them so well around the country.

I love cycling, and am gutted that these poor people have lost their lives, but we should not blame each and every HGV driver as a result. I don't know who was to blame in the current spate of accidents, so can't comment there.

Personally, I think something major needs to be done to our infrastructure rather than solely relying on upgrades to the vehicles themselves. Better visibility on them would be great, but having a separate cycle lane which has a pavement between it and the main road would surely be a far better solution?

Much the same can be said for shared cycle and foot paths? The more popular ones are a nightmare for all concerned. Cyclists can't safely go as fast as they would like. Walkers can't be sure that some cyclist might not come along and wipe out their wayward child. Two sides to this, the same as a shared road.

Somehow doubt its going to get resolved anytime soon mind you!

bpsmith

Veteran
Why should cyclists be able to go 'as fast as they like'? And who is blaming 'each and every' HGV driver?
Why shouldn't they?

Not trying to sound harsh above, in any way, just trying to contrast the requirements of different users. In an ideal world...cyclists should be able to go fast if they choose...parents should be able to stroll along with their kids and dogs roaming freely...cyclists should be safe on the main roads...HGV drivers, and other vehicle drivers too, should be able to drive safe in the knowledge that they are aware of every other vehicle and person around them...

None of us are naive enough to think any of this is reality! Whilst we share usage, I am NOT suggesting that each of the above uses should carry on. Its a trade off that we all adhere to and we should all take care of others. That's my point really. Not saying anyone on here blames every HGV driver, but have heard conversations at work to the contrary.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
an interesting thought from another place is that cyclists have a transmitter on the bike that HGVs can pick up . Given that most people have a sat nav wouldn't an ANT+ transmitter be picked up on it with some kind of app ? Just an idea that's getting bounced about .

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Why people can't just drive safely (and ride safely) so we can all go about our business without all this rubbish I don't know. It's actually very simple, we stay away from HGV's and they stay away from us. The problem seems to be with the rush rush rush, me first culture we have allowed to prevail. Everybody is on a deadline....quite literally in this case.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 2778537, member: 30090"]LOL that vid....the unit and trailer are incorrectly positioned for the sake of rather blatant scaremongering...[/quote]
yeah yeah yeah... it's a bit inaccurate... but blatant scaremongering it isn't.

You'd be able to see some of those cyclists if the cab had been straight on and not simulating the start of a left turn. Personally I think any cyclist who'd shoot up the inside of a lorry positioned like that on a road has a death wish and deserves everything they get. The cab and trailer are only going to go one way and everyone knows it.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Why people can't just drive safely (and ride safely) so we can all go about our business without all this rubbish I don't know. It's actually very simple, we stay away from HGV's and they stay away from us. The problem seems to be with the rush rush rush, me first culture we have allowed to prevail. Everybody is on a deadline....quite literally in this case.
And, much though I wish it weren't the case, ideas about sharing road space are naive. When traffic gets to a critical level, it's about competing for road space and quickly plugging up the space when it opens in front of you. And when it comes to competing for road space, bigger is better. There are commercial advantages to having bigger freight vehicles, there are status advantages (apparently) to driving a bigger car. The effect of this, of course, is to leave less space for the smaller road users. Big squeezes out small.

MontyVeda

You'd be able to see some of those cyclists if the cab had been straight on and not simulating the start of a left turn. Personally I think any cyclist who'd shoot up the inside of a lorry positioned like that on a road has a death wish and deserves everything they get. The cab and trailer are only going to go one way and everyone knows it.

I suspect you'd quickly change your opinion if it was your mother, brother, sister, son, cousin, or friend.... I can't see you standing at their wake saying "they deserved it".

Talking to someone at work who is a novice and they came up with something I hadn't thought of.......

There is a roundabout at Portchester on the A27 with an onroad cycle track around it, All the kerbs are then fenced off to prevent pedeatrian access, a common feature on many junctions.

I take the primary, but they feel obliged to used the cycle path, and are amazed atthe number of vehicles who "cut" the corner at the exit usingthe cycle lane.

Their fear is being squished betweenthe vehicle and the fence

That started me thinking...... what part do these fances play in these injuries and deaths

Had the fences not been there would the cylist have been "bounced clear" by the impact and survived, or would there have been an escape route to again assist survival.

Do we need to look atthese fences as a safety issue?

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
fences arnt the answer...they just give the morons even more power and free reign to drive like the pathetic bunch of spolit brats many are. The best answer imho is change the law. hit a cyclist for any reason and the driver gets a lifetime driving ban, end of story.

MontyVeda

The best answer imho is change the law. hit a cyclist for any reason and the driver gets a lifetime driving ban, end of story.

whilst i don't entirely agree with your statement... the sooner a driving license is seen as a privilege rather than a human right, the better.

Dangerous driving should result in a lifetime ban. Drink/drug driving should result in a lifetime ban... none of this six month or two year suspension and a handful of points on your licence malarkey.

fences arnt the answer...they just give the morons even more power and free reign to drive like the pathetic bunch of spolit brats many are. The best answer imho is change the law. hit a cyclist for any reason and the driver gets a lifetime driving ban, end of story.

My point is that fences are possibly a major hazard and cause of injury - certainly not the answer to anything

Top Bottom