What an HGV sees of you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
OK. You seem to have attached some strange interpretation to a relatively easy to understand concept, which I am taking as you being deliberately stupid to avoid acknowledging that you were wrong.
no I know what 360 degree monitoring means as I understand the basics of physics english and mathematics and biology , something which you yourself do seem to be struggling with. I don't seem to be the only one who understands what i am saying judging by the comments i have recieved

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As a general rule, articulated trucks have 4 indicators on each side. One at the front, one on the wing, one on the rear of the tracfor unit and one on the rear of the trailer.
Truck drivers, as oposed to car drivers, tend to use their indicators.
Keep an eye out for them before riding up the inside of a truck as they are a clue what the driver wishes to do, ie, turn. Also bear in mind the extra road space needed to get round a corner.

buggi

Bird Saviour
[QUOTE 2778537, member: 30090"]LOL that vid....the unit and trailer are incorrectly positioned for the sake of rather blatant scaremongering...[/quote]
no it's not, its positioned correctly as if its in a right hand lane, cab slightly angled ready to commence a left hand turn.
I'm sick of seeing "lorry should have...", "driver should do..." and "victim blaming" everytime someone talks a bit of sense.
today i even saw a car driver hang back and wait for the lorry in the next lane to make its turn!! If someone in a car can act with caution then it only makes sense to me a cyclist can also. its not a crime to suggest something that may save a cyclist in case a lorry doesn't have or a driver doesn't do! It would be all very nice if the lorry did have.. And the driver did do... but they're not gonna do it by tomorrow are they?

buggi

Bird Saviour
Talking to someone at work who is a novice and they came up with something I hadn't thought of.......

There is a roundabout at Portchester on the A27 with an onroad cycle track around it, All the kerbs are then fenced off to prevent pedeatrian access, a common feature on many junctions.

I take the primary, but they feel obliged to used the cycle path, and are amazed atthe number of vehicles who "cut" the corner at the exit usingthe cycle lane.

Their fear is being squished betweenthe vehicle and the fence

That started me thinking...... what part do these fances play in these injuries and deaths

Had the fences not been there would the cylist have been "bounced clear" by the impact and survived, or would there have been an escape route to again assist survival.

Do we need to look atthese fences as a safety issue?
no the cyclist doesn't bounce, it makes it worse when there are pedestrian railings... Its the cheese grater effect :sad:

buggi

Bird Saviour
2780540 said:
So what we need is a prohibition on trucks putting cyclists on their inside by passing?
no the issue isn't whether the cyclist is there... It's how he got there. if the driver comes up behind the cyclist then he knows the cyclist is there and is clearly at fault if he then runs him over. But if the cyclist rides up the inside chances are the driver may not see him due to blind spot. But you already know that's what was meant. Clearly tho, if the cyclist was in primary he wouldn't be on the left either way.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
2780540 said:
So what we need is a prohibition on trucks putting cyclists on their inside by passing?
I know this is black humour but, just off the top of my head, has anybody ever installed a no-overtaking box before junctions? Or a strip clearly marked, denoting ''no overtaking cyclists in this lane'' before junctions? A sort of bike clearway? (Not that I believe there's any one solution. And it wouldn't deal with ''must filter in the inside at all costs'' cyclists.) With unbroken ''do not cross this line'' markings on the outside to reinforce the lane protection. It is the classic danger point. You can kill yourself in many other ways, and you can get killed in many other ways too but it is where most of the deaths occur.

(Admittedly, it's off the top of my head, but why not a limited zone where there is cycle priority and no parking? Shoot me down if you like.)

no the cyclist doesn't bounce, it makes it worse when there are pedestrian railings... Its the cheese grater effect :sad:

Which is my point made twice above .....Had the fences not been there would the cyclist have been "bounced clear" by the impact and survived

The presence of these barriers and their danger is the issue

2780540 said:

Grow the f up you now what I meant. The guide lines are in the highway code ride it, its pretty simple and if all road users followed it no problem.

Except in most of these fatalities this is the exact opposite of this scenario.

It is the HGV overtaking and putting the cyclist on the inside with absolutely nowhere to go!

Origamist

Legendary Member
Here's a few other tips for dealing with HGVs, if you're on a bike:
  1. If a HGV approaches from behind and you are stationary at the lights, try and get eye contact with the driver. Persist with this tactic until you get confirmation that the driver has acknowledged your presence. Sometimes this can take time as the driver might be checking his mirrors, Sat-Nav, phone, or paperwork etc
  2. If you are approaching a junction on your left and a HGV is close behind or alongside, try to get eye contact, but assume the driver might choose to turn left as he's misjudged your speed. Brake and let them pass before the junction, if possible (consider a kerb escape if the situation is time critical). Depending on lane width, primary position might be a reasonable position to adopt.
  3. If you are on a country lane and a HGV is behind you, look for a place to let the vehicle past. Attempt eye contact, Indicate and slow. If there is not a suitable passing spot for a while, be prepared for an overtake (sometimes these will be ill-timed) . If this happens, wipe off speed to let the vehicle overtake as even professional drivers misjudge the length of their trailer when pulling in. Therefore try to give yourself a safety buffer to the left.
  4. If you see a HGV approaching a RaB and you are already circulating, assume their vision will be obscured by their mirror array and be prepared to take evasive action, if at all possible.
  5. Try not to ride alongside a HGV for any length of time - preferably hang back, as it's always better to have these vehicles in front of you.
  6. If a HGV driver is cautious and courteous - most are IME - thank them with a wave or thumbs up.
However, all of the above are merely safety tactics and do nothing to address the danger at source.

Last edited:

buggi

Bird Saviour
Which is my point made twice above .....Had the fences not been there would the cyclist have been "bounced clear" by the impact and survived

The presence of these barriers and their danger is the issue
OK NO NEED TO SHOUT i misread your post

buggi

Bird Saviour
Except in most of these fatalities this is the exact opposite of this scenario.

It is the HGV overtaking and putting the cyclist on the inside with absolutely nowhere to go!
in most of these fatalities recently the exact circumstance is unknown. And no one is making presumptions about the cyclist, they are just saying try not to put yourself in this scenario if you have a choice.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Here's a few other tips for dealing with HGVs, if you're on a bike:
  1. If a HGV approaches from behind and you are stationary at the lights, try and get eye contact with the driver. Persist with this tactic until you get confirmation that the driver has acknowledged your presence. Sometimes this can take time as the driver might be checking his mirrors, Sat-Nav, phone, or paperwork etc
  2. If you are approaching a junction on your left and a HGV is close behind, try to get eye contact, but assume the driver might choose to turn left as he's misjudged your speed. Brake and let them pass before the junction, if possible. Depending on lane width, primary position might be a reasonable position to adopt.
  3. If you are on a country lane and a HGV is behind you, look for a place to let the vehicle past. Attempt eye contact, Indicate and slow. If there is not a suitable passing spot for a while, be prepared for an overtake (sometimes these will be ill-timed) . If this happens, wipe off speed to let the vehicle overtake as even professional drivers misjudge the length of their trailer when pulling in. Therefore try to give yourself a safety buffer to the left.
  4. If you see a HGV approaching a RaB and you are already circulating, assume their vision will be obscured by their mirror array and be prepared to take evasive action, if at all possible.
  5. Try not to ride alongside a HGV for any length of time if there's two lanes - preferably hang back, as it's always better to have these vehicles in front of you.
  6. If a HGV driver is cautious and courteous - most are IME - thank them with a wave or thumbs up.
However, all of the above are merely safety tactics and do nothing to address the danger at source.
Good points but more psych-ability than bikeability, perhaps?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
in most of these fatalities recently the exact circumstance is unknown. And no one is making presumptions about the cyclist, they are just saying try not to put yourself in this scenario if you have a choice.
But we do know the exact locations. Predominantly at junctions, though not always. That is part of the reason why I haven't yet discounted my ''Bike Priority Zones'' suggestion back in post #60.

Top Bottom