What animals have you seen on your rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Seems that some of those birds aren't so bird-brained when it comes to their hunting strategy

a barn owl, flying maybe 10 - 15 yards ahead, above head height. It's as if it has been waiting for someone to turn up, and then flies ahead until the road bends when it disappears over the hedge. This in daytime. Perhaps my passage disturbs small creatures hiding in the roadside undergrowth.

A small bird of prey, a kestrel I think, that came and flew alongside and ahead of me, flicking from side to side, low and very close. Perhaps it was expecting me to alarm a mouse or two into breaking cover.
That would be a sparrow hawk using you as cover for its ambush approach of small birds in the hedges.

figbat

Slippery scientist
And then the drug supply dried up. 😁

My phone was able to capture the trip too!
6190df0b-556b-4070-a988-57be4ef4143c-jpeg.jpg

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
A lizard on the fly and a Camel in someone’s ‘garden’ 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 20992982-56A2-476A-8536-E4292BF36738.jpeg
    20992982-56A2-476A-8536-E4292BF36738.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 2CED2AB3-FCDD-4F56-B533-0306C7BA7D40.jpeg
    2CED2AB3-FCDD-4F56-B533-0306C7BA7D40.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 5

Tenkaykev

Guru
Living near the coast, we see seagulls all the time. And there is a colony of wild parakeets. Very green. Very noisy.
There are some sparrowhawks to be seen over the fields, seeking out their prey.
And, if I ride through town, I see a zebra crossing........

We have both Zebra and Pelican crossings...

Locally I've see deer, wild boar, possums, raccoons, snakes, alligators, bald eagle, flamingos, hummingbirds, snakes, squirrels by the 100's, rabbits, snakes, and freaking banana spiders in the face, oh and more snake 'cos it's spring time. Sometimes I miss the simpler sights of mostly just rabbits and seagulls from home in Cornwall.

This wee fellow below was seen while hiking a local park, but I've seen similar within 10 miles of home.

IMG_5738.JPG

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Locally I've see deer, wild boar, possums, raccoons, snakes, alligators, bald eagle, flamingos, hummingbirds, snakes, squirrels by the 100's, rabbits, snakes, and freaking banana spiders in the face, oh and more snake 'cos it's spring time. Sometimes I miss the simpler sights of mostly just rabbits and seagulls from home in Cornwall.

This wee fellow below was seen while hiking a local park, but I've seen similar within 10 miles of home.

View attachment 683758

His attempt of head-worn Camo’s not really working if I’m honest. Good effort though….

Tenkaykev

Guru
The last overnighter I did, when I saw the mink, I also saw a pair of crocs following close behind me.
View attachment 683764

I took a pair of Crocs with me when I walked the SWCP. To save space I threaded the waist strap of my rucksack through the ankle loops of the Crocks, one either side. Every time I reached a shop / cafe I would automatically unclip the rucksack waist straps and my Crocs would drop on to the floor, did I learn? no, 😁

Top Bottom